Microsoft looking to run Windows on OLPC

arctic

They release(d ?) a GUIless server version.
That would be completely useless for the intended application of these laptops.
I think that bloated elephant is very customizable now especially when they know what hardware will it use exactly so they can throw out all the other drivers.
Drivers are not what makes MS Windows bloated - even the most basic edition of XP available has requirements above these laptops - they would have to go to a version of Windows for portable devices (PocketPC or whatever it is). There are, in fact, more drivers available in a vanilla linux kernel then in a base XP install, IIRC.

Microsoft has to do this or they will lose in the future.

For Microsoft to see a billion computers out in the world without windows on it and given to every child in the developing world will cause an instant shift from Microsoft to other platforms within these countries.

Bill Gates is not stupid what they will do is create a MS version and then under cut the Redhat version for countries he wants to keep on his payroll.

What is the old saying keep your friends close keep your enemies closer..

Then they will use FUD to make the developed world buy only the MS versions., and threaten the Undeveloped world to use his version.

I wonder if you buy a MS version will it be locked so it cannot run Redhat..

I truly think that this is one of those Microsoft desperation moves in attempt to stop something it knows is gathering speed and doesn't know how to stop it or respond to it.

With all their money they can try but in the end they will have NO worthwhile effect.

Windows has been truly and irreversably gazumped.

All the world that is considering this project knows that it is intended to stop lockin by proprietry companies so they will NOT even look at anything to do with Microsoft for starters. To financially compete, Microsoft would have to give it for free but it still would not have the reliability, security, stability and versatility of the "$100 Project". Remember the Project includes a range of usable and applicable learning packages and not just an OS, and I am sure the people who make programs to run on Windows will not necessarily agree to their stuff being used for free or be happy if Microsoft hijacks their work to achieve its own ends.

It is a last ditch but ultimately useless effort by Microsoft so don't bother wasting any of your valuable attention or time with it.

Cheers. John.

It is a last ditch but ultimately useless effort by Microsoft so don't bother wasting any of your valuable attention or time with it.

I wish I could agree with you but an organisation as powerful as M$ is not going to give up easily. Over the coming weeks they are going to be loads of free publicity i the media with the launch of Vista. I am betting not one report on TV, radio or press will even mention Linux far less say something like "of course Vista costs $???? but there are free alternatives!".

I truly think that this is one of those Microsoft desperation moves in attempt to stop something it knows is gathering speed and doesn't know how to stop it or respond to it.

With all their money they can try but in the end they will have NO worthwhile effect.

Windows has been truly and irreversably gazumped.

All the world that is considering this project knows that it is intended to stop lockin by proprietry companies so they will NOT even look at anything to do with Microsoft for starters. To financially compete, Microsoft would have to give it for free but it still would not have the reliability, security, stability and versatility of the "$100 Project". Remember the Project includes a range of usable and applicable learning packages and not just an OS, and I am sure the people who make programs to run on Windows will not necessarily agree to their stuff being used for free or be happy if Microsoft hijacks their work to achieve its own ends.

Cheers. John.

John, agree completely but even more so.... the reason MS is so helpless is because it only knows how to buy...

One might question WHO is going to be paying for this generous set of gold plated handcuffs ..? Oh, yep the people who buy windows!

I guess their next move will be opensourcing Windows 3.11.
Theyre going to need to bundle a disk repair tool for a FAT fs on a hand powered laptop!

In all honestly *BSD would probably be the best OS in terms of the spec?

Don't get me wrong I love linux but its sometimes a throw memory and CPU cycles at it affair...

e.g.

nvidia 4,703,540 (4MB for a graphics driver?)

However like I said before I'll bet those laptops hit the black market a week after they are released... and I'll bet most families would prefer running clean water...

I like me some bsd my self, but I don't think there are enough drivers to make it work.

If I had my choice Solaris :) cause its just cool, plus every buisness and there brother uses it and coding/programy is good on it too.

Hello Darkscot

The Titanic was the worlds biggest and most costliest ship that existed at the time and described as unsinkable.

With all the money behind it, it still sank and its design was found to be flawed from the very start.

Does that remind you of a certain US software company???. If not then it should.

Vista is nothing more than the latest most costliest patch to the slowly sinking Windows Titanic. But Windows "T" keeps opening more and larger holes. Microsoft keeps asking people to join the sinking ship so they can handcuff you to the railings and they can be sure you sink with them. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Hello Gowater. The comment about the nvidia driver could maybe be a little unfair. That driver is intended to cover a lot of versions of nvivia video cards after all. I would quess a driver for a specific card would be very small. I do accept and take on your point though.

The $100 Project would likely have just a basic video card and a driver specially tailored for it so it would be quite small. On top of that I don't think the Project necessarily will have to be a heavily hacked down Linux OS. Just so long as the HD in it is around 4Gb or more it will be OK. It costs as much to make a small HD as to make a larger one so I don't think HD size wll be an issue. I believe that most of the cost was for the powering mechanism. I don't know if this correct but it would seem to make sense.

Those people that want to use pirated Windows are highly unlikely to want to use a hand powered device to put it on. There will be a tiny percentage of abusers of the project but it would be the same in any project. It will be an over whelmingly successful project for certain and although a radical scheme, it has a lot of successful big hitters behind it. That is why Microsoft is so desperately wanting to be seen as one of them but no one is fooled.

Cheers. John.