Differences between "free" 2007 and bought version

Alistair

What's wrong with the free version?

Absolutely nothing. I have always used the free versions Mandriva with no complaints.

It is my understanding that purchased versions of 2007 entitle you to support from Mandriva. However, you can get good support from this website.

With the sold Package version you also get a huge amount of packages that normally you would have to download from Main and Contrib. (and possibly even plf)

The free version is to keep the overall CD or DVD as small as practicable. It also includes many proprietry drivers as well. So there is a lot to be said for it.

Most importantly you are financially supporting Mandriva in its work, whereas the free version returns nothing financially to Mandriva at all.

The same also really applies to most of the other Distros as well.

Frankly when I buy the packaged versions I could care less about the club membership or prepaid for assistance. I like to support Mandriva where I can.

Cheers. John.

In 2007 you also get some more software which you can't get with the free version. Namely a game called Flatout (only on the DVD version), Cedega with 3 months subscription I think, LinDVD and possibly others. Flatout is a Windows game and it needs Cedega to run. Cedega is an emulator with the aim to run Windows games on Linux. LinDVD is what the name suggests, a DVD player. To tell the truth you can play DVDs without LinDVD but you have to install some stuff by yourself, mainly codecs. So it's good for those who don't wanna mess with things like this.

And as others told before me the paying version has some propietary drivers,codecs which is not in the free version. Briefly it's more convinient and gives a little extra.

Edited by dexter11

I once e-mailed mandriva the same question that Alistair has just asked, that once being about 2 weeks ago and still no reply.

Its nice to find the answer your looking for without doing much looking as i was wondering why a free version and a paid for version, in my eyes a free version is very handy to have because if you dont like that version of linux youve lost nothing but if you do like it then buy it and support Mandriva or or what ever distro you prefer,

only the othe night i installed Kubuntu to see what it was like as the computer mag i buy highly recomeded it i'm just glad it was free as i would be very upset today if i had paid for it. i suppose thats the advantage linux has over winduz you can try before you buy.

This question is asked so frequently, I'm surprised Mandriva does not already have a blurb dealing with it. But that would entail marketing, wouldn't it? ;)

The free version does not pay any salaries. Mandriva has employees who get paid. There is nothing wrong with making a living, and there is nothing wrong with charging for a product. No one challenges Windows concerning the cost of their software, and yet the Linux community frequently does not talk about this. Use the free version. If you want, buy a copy. Frankly, selling the software is a far cry better than begging for money, like they did a few years ago. B)