Copying files between HDD's [solved]

oldnoob

I am trying to copy 185GB of data between 2 external usb HDD's, but I keep getting errors. As root using konqueror, I am trying to copy from sdb1, a borrowed ntfs hard disk volume to sda1 a newly formatted ext3 removable device. It will happily copy for a couple of minutes, and then squark about about not being able to copy files with a "skip" button, but it just wont copy any more files. Then I cant delete the files that did copy over to the ext3 drive, comes up with an error until I unmount then remount the device again, then I can delete the files.

In an effort to get more information, I tried to copy the files using a terminal, same result, It will copy for a couple of minutes and then give me a whole lot of errors

cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/removable1/LinuxPartitionBackUP/Beck - The Information': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/removable1/LinuxPartitionBackUP/Music': Read-only file system

etc...etc..

Please if anyone can help because I just dont understand why if it is a read only file system it copys some files then stops. I have tried changing permissions of /mnt/removeable1 but it makes no difference

Edit: I have just noticed that the files appear to copy ok to another internal drive partition but I just dont have the space to copy everything off, so I feel the problem imust be with my newly formatted drive.

Edited by oldnoob

I think that when you reformat the drive using MCC that it then automatically mounts the drive. I notice that during the installation phase of the OS and really it is using MCC there as well. Clicking to mount the drive possibly causes a confusion since the drive is already mounted.

Just my 6 pence worth.

Cheers. John.