Stellarium

addr

Does anyone with x86_64 have this program launching OK?

Mine won't from the menu or the Run command.

stellarium-0.8.1-2mdv2007.0 is the download file.

I can't find an executable file but I don't really know what to look for.

I don't think I have a corrupted file as I downloaded twice.

How are you downloading it? Did you download manually, or are you using your urpmi sources for it?

You should be using urpmi, so visit the easyurpmi, add the repositories and then install it using the Install Software package, or using urpmi from the command line.

Make sure you choose the easyurpmi sources for x64 though as they default to i586.

executable should be /usr/bin/stellarium

sometimes x86_64 can be a bit...temperamental, and programs will either not run or be somewhat unstable. I'm not sure if this was just early growing pains that have been resolved or if it's a continuing problem. However, I would most certainly suggest doing:

whereis stellarium

And it should come back with the location (it really should be /usr/bin/stellarium IIRC). Then try to run that from the command line (konsole) and see if it spits out any errors.

I'll bet you haven't tried uninstalling it, redownloading it and reinstalling it.

Far too often it is thought that downloading and installing it is the easy bit and that if there is a problem then it must be the OS. Wrong.

Cheers. John.

Actually I downloaded it twice, a big deal on dial up.

I reset all of my sources, Easyurpmi and CD's and now it won't let me download at all, Stellarium that is. So I must have changed something but I still can't get the program.

Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

stellarium-0.8.1-2mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libSDL-1.2.so.0)

and why is it calling it i586 when I am using x86_64? Don't tell me I set something wrong again..!

Edited by addr

Put in another download site but no go.(After another 30megs on easyurpmi on dialup!). The depressing thing is I went to my Mepis distro, downloaded and the program runs fine.

It's not terribly important but disappointing since I wanted a single distro to run everything and Mandriva is better in the things I have to have...Gimp,Inkscape, Gnucash,Abiword.

A pity...too bad.

I lost my bet , sorry.

You really have tried hard on this one for sure.

I just installed it on my machine to test and it came up AOK but then my system is a 32 and not the newer 64 as is yours so it looks like we (me) can't do much to help you at the moment except to suggest waiting a few weeks to see if an updated version comes out.

Cheers. John.

I just saw that you posted that the install refusal said that libbSDL is unsatisfied. If you are trying to install Stellarium and this comes up it means that urpmi is unable to find libSDL listed in MCC. This usually means that you do not have Main and Contrib properly set up because libSDL would normally be in Main.

When you open MCC select Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system. If your CD or DVD install is listed here then DELETE it. Following the next instructions eliminates its necessity.

Then click on the ADD tab. A popup asks Official Updates or Distribution Sources.

Click on Distribution Sources and let it run its course. When it completes this then go into the Install Packages part of MCC and type in Stellarium in the top search box.

This will bring up Stellarium AND any dependencies as well which should also include libSDL if it needs it. Just tick the boxes and it should install.Ok. You should find it in the Start Menu under Scientific.

I hope you give this a try an let me know if it helped.

Cheers. John.

Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

stellarium-0.8.1-2mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libSDL-1.2.so.0)

and why is it calling it i586 when I am using x86_64? Don't tell me I set something wrong again..!

Is it possible you chose the wrong arch in easyurpmi? Check your sources in the software sources manager (or whatever it's called). Check the URLs. If it has i586 in it that's wrong.

Sounds like you did choose the wrong arch when you set up your easyurpmi sources, and you left it at i586 instead of changing it to the 64 bit ones I mentioned before in my other post.

You'll need to remove the sources, and then re-add them again. You can do this in the software media manager, System/Configuration/Packaging/Software Media Manager.

Or, from the console prompt:

urpmi.removemedia main
urpmi.removemedia contrib
urpmi.removemedia updates
urpmi.removemedia plf-free
urpmi.removemedia plf-nonfree

reason I've done it this way and not urpmi.removemedia -a is that would also remove your CD media, and so the above just removes the ones you added with easyurpmi.

I have an x86_64 system and for me, stellarium is also not working - it segfaults.

If you just type the first part of the command, followed by the tab-key, like this:

stell<tab>

the shell (bash) will normally autocomplete it.

I didn't try to install the i586 version yet - it should be possible to run the x86 32 bit versions on an x86_64 bit system with a 64 bit kernel, as long as you have all the required libs. I know the 32 bit version works fine, I use it on my other 32 bit syste1ms.

I have some other priorities, so I'll get back to this one later. Do keep us updated on your progress!

That message you show often doesn't mean a lot (it should do but that is another discussion).

Try the install again and when you get that message again then this time click YES. It is unlikely to do any harm but more than likely it will install Stellarium AOK.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

It's just failed it's package signature check that's all, which isn't uncommon. Will install fine though.

Command line usage for installing apps is usually better for diagnosis of such problems as it provides more output unfortunately the gui doesn't do this but gives a basic hint at least.