[updated] Neverwinter Nights beta 2 is out

DOlson

Guest JaseP

I can't switch between nVidia and AGPgart, AGPgart is all I can use. I have the KT333 chipset and it is not supported by Linux or nVidia fully yet.

When I try to rebuild the latest drivers, I get x-server crashes. The highest I can use is 3123 (I think).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JaseP

Well, I didn't want to do this until KT333 support was out, but I think I'm going to have to upgrade as soon as the 9.1 PowerPack is available at BestBuy.

i have tried ravage's installer and the only hitch is that it didnt copy the erf (is this right? i cant remember) files so i fixed it by copying the files from the windows installation's texture directory.

followed scape's tutorial, including the changing of ownership and permissions.

and for the coup de grace, ran nwn in a commandline.

and then got this message after 2 seconds (or something like this)

Fatal signal caught: Segmentation Fault (SDL parachute deployed)

after re-reading the tutorial, scape mentioned that the client was built using SDL1.2.5. I downloaded the rpm linked in the site, and found out that the contents conflicted with the files of libSDL1.2.?. thinking i have gone this far, i removed libSDL (together with a slew of other SDL packages, chromium and frozenbubble), installed SDL1.2.5. licked my lips and ran nwn in a commandline and then

that's it, no other messages. kind of frustrating, doesnt it? :evil:

ciao!

i have tried ravage's installer and the only hitch is that it didnt copy the erf (is this right? i cant remember) files so i fixed it by copying the files from the windows installation's texture directory.

followed scape's tutorial, including the changing of ownership and permissions.

and for the coup de grace, ran nwn in a commandline.

and then got this message after 2 seconds (or something like this)

after re-reading the tutorial, scape mentioned that the client was built using SDL1.2.5. I downloaded the rpm linked in the site, and found out that the contents conflicted with the files of libSDL1.2.?. thinking i have gone this far, i removed libSDL (together with a slew of other SDL packages, chromium and frozenbubble), installed SDL1.2.5. licked my lips and ran nwn in a commandline and then

that's it, no other messages. kind of frustrating, doesnt it? :evil:

ciao!

There are many people with this problem on the BioWare forums. I urge you to take a look, and when you find out something that fixes the problem, let me know, and I'll add it to the FAQ.

There are many people with this problem on the BioWare forums. I urge you to take a look, and when you find out something that fixes the problem, let me know, and I'll add it to the FAQ.

sure. but i dont frequent the bioware forums (i dont know why but i have trouble loading their board). its really hard to diagnose a problem if theres not much info to start with. does the nwn client have a verbose switch? i havent thought about it until now. :oops:

ciao!

Linux World article on Neverwinter Nightshttp://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0331.barr.html

That guy has some nerve. What an ass. He does nothing but complains about UT2003, and then turns around and praises NWN and BioWare for a game that wasn't even available for 9 months after release. Come on. I'm not going to read another shitty article by him again.

This is interesting reading: http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0331.barr-p...t=2654#talkback

Well.. maybe he is not a UT2K3 Fan.. I know I am not.. I don't care if it installed on linux like a dream and can run in a 386, if I don't like a game, I won't like it no matter how other people praise it.

Besides.. I just don't have the reflexes to play action game anymore.. I think he is not a young man anymore (he actually have a son in law racing at NASCAR, so I think he is above 40 years old). I don't think he would like UT2K3, but may his kids would. NWN, on the other hand, suits him more. He probably have nostalgic flashbacks of playing tabletop DnD when he was in college or something :)

Well.. maybe he is not a UT2K3 Fan.. I know I am not.. I don't care if it installed on linux like a dream and can run in a 386, if I don't like a game, I won't like it no matter how other people praise it.  

Besides.. I just don't have the reflexes to play action game anymore.. I think he is not a young man anymore (he actually have a son in law racing at NASCAR, so I think he is above 40 years old). I don't think he would like UT2K3, but may his kids would. NWN, on the other hand, suits him more. He probably have nostalgic flashbacks of playing tabletop DnD when he was in college or something :)

Do you miss the point of it all? His complaints weren't with the game, but with circumstances around the game - the installer was a little buggy, there wasn't a penguin on the box, etc etc etc etc.

His writings are biased, and if he didn't like the game for what it was, then that's fine, but he even went so far as to question Epic's MOTIVES for releasing the game in the first place.

THAT is called shitty journalism, not a favorable review.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Code_Man65

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get NWN to work on linux and I think I have finally found my problem, I am missing some texture files that should be on the system and I will post them to see what you guys think. BTW, I know the aurora stuff probably should fail but every little bit of info helps. I also installed using the ravage installer and then overwrote the necessary files to update it to beta 4. So without further ado here is what the data file verification gives me on the files I am missing:

md5sum: data/aurora_tcn.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tcn.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tdc.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tdc.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tde.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tde.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tdm.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tdm.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tds.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tds.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tic.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tic.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tin.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tin.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_tms.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_tms.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_ttf.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_ttf.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/aurora_ttr.bif: No such file or directory

data/aurora_ttr.bif: FAILED open or read

data/convo.bif: OK

md5sum: data/editor.bif: No such file or directory

data/editor.bif: FAILED open or read

data/ini.bif: OK

md5sum: data/loadscreens.bif: No such file or directory

data/loadscreens.bif: FAILED open or read

data/misc.bif: OK

md5sum: data/models_01.bif: No such file or directory

data/models_01.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/models_02.bif: No such file or directory

data/models_02.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/music.bif: No such file or directory

data/music.bif: FAILED open or read

data/patch.bif: OK

data/scripts.bif: OK

md5sum: data/sounds.bif: No such file or directory

data/sounds.bif: FAILED open or read

data/templates.bif: OK

md5sum: data/textures_01.bif: No such file or directory

data/textures_01.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/textures_02.bif: No such file or directory

data/textures_02.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: data/voicesets.bif: No such file or directory

data/voicesets.bif: FAILED open or read

md5sum: texturepacks/Textures_Tpc.erf: No such file or directory

texturepacks/Textures_Tpc.erf: FAILED open or read

texturepacks/Tiles_Tpa.erf: FAILED

md5sum: texturepacks/Tiles_Tpb.erf: No such file or directory

texturepacks/Tiles_Tpb.erf: FAILED open or read

md5sum: texturepacks/Tiles_Tpc.erf: No such file or directory

texturepacks/Tiles_Tpc.erf: FAILED open or read

So, any ideas?

BTW system specs:

Mandrake 9.0

Updated to SDL 1.2.5

GeForce 3 with lastest drivers from nvidia

SoundBlaster Live! Audigy Gamer

If you need any other info please ask.

• 1 month later...
Guest mr_ed
If it crashes on you, you'll have to do this:

* cp miles/* /usr/local/lib/

* cd /usr/local/lib

* rm libmss.so.6 libmss.so

* ln -s libmss.so.6.5.2 libmss.so.6

* ln -s libmss.so.6 libmss.so

* ldconfig

or some other method of making it realize the miles libraries are there.

Is the error that you meant here the one where the screen goes black, there's a ding, and then you're returned to the desktop? In Ravage's FAQ, it mentions that this is a Miles problem.

I tried using your sequence above to no avail on my box. :cry:

I also got the spew of Wine errors when installing from the CD using Ravage's installer (but I had a copy installed from my Gentoo installation that does the same thing, so I just mounted that drive)