[updated] Neverwinter Nights beta 2 is out

DOlson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone might want to mirror the 1.29 installer, the download speed is pretty slow right now.  :(

Yeah, someone will be mirroring it, but they aren't responding to my messages yet. I'll post a URL once they do.

By the way, here's the new steps:

Get ravage's installer.

su to root

run installer

cd /usr/local/games/nwn

chown -R user.group ../nwn (put the apropriate user/group in there)

chmod -R u+wr g+wr o-w * (optional step, just ensures permissions)

that's it!

Now you can run NWN.

If you run into problems, read my earlier post, or check out the BioWare forums.

Installed the game with ravage's installer - that went over very well. Unfortunately, the program unexpectedly quits whenever I get start a new game a choose to create a new character or select a pregenerated one. No error messages, nothing. Anyone else got this problem? Or, better yet, found a way to solve it?

Mandrake 9.1 (cooker)

glibc 2.3.1

SDL 1.2.5 (built from the sources found on the Bioware site)

DOlson (Grabthroat Shinkicker, I presume? :-), I tried the nwnlinux.md5 found on your site but it failed for several files. Did I miss a step?

Basically what I did is run the 1.29 version of Ravage's installer as root (and entered my CD key), chown'ed and chmod'ed the files and ran the nwn executable...it works up the point specified above. Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

Installed the game with ravage's installer - that went over very well. Unfortunately, the program unexpectedly quits whenever I get start a new game a choose to create a new character or select a pregenerated one. No error messages, nothing. Anyone else got this problem? Or, better yet, found a way to solve it?

Mandrake 9.1 (cooker)

glibc 2.3.1

SDL 1.2.5 (built from the sources found on the Bioware site)

DOlson (Grabthroat Shinkicker, I presume? :-), I tried the nwnlinux.md5 found on your site but it failed for several files. Did I miss a step?

Basically what I did is run the 1.29 version of Ravage's installer as root (and entered my CD key), chown'ed and chmod'ed the files and ran the nwn executable...it works up the point specified above. Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

the md5sum check looks for GUI_32bit.erf / Textures_Tpa.erf / Tiles_Tpa.erf / Tiles_Tpb.erf

on my install they were all lower case so the script was unable to find them.

After changing from 16bit to 24bit colour on the desktop the game went alot longer before crashing. I think i need to get rid of all my sdl stuff and completely reinstall it again.

OOPS i spoke to soon! after a reboot NWN seems to run perfectly.

BTW do you have a nvidia graphics card? It doesn't seem to work on Ati cards from what i have seen on the nwn forums.

If so do you have the nvidia drivers installed? eg can run glxgears etc.

Again make sure you use 24 bit display if you aren't using it already

NWN WOOOHOOO!! 8)

Yup, got nvidia drivers. I can run glxgears no problem.

I'm not sure about the 24 bit display...do you mean setting the game to 24-bit, or the desktop? My desktop is already at 24bit, and I'm not sure how to change it for NWN...I can't access the Advanced Video Options, it crashes instantly. Hmm...would twinview be to blame?

Yup, got nvidia drivers. I can run glxgears no problem.

I'm not sure about the 24 bit display...do you mean setting the game to 24-bit, or the desktop? My desktop is already at 24bit, and I'm not sure how to change it for NWN...I can't access the Advanced Video Options, it crashes instantly. Hmm...would twinview be to blame?

No i meant 24bits on the desktop

So i wouldn't have a clue then sorry, have a look in the nwn linux forum

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=72

Oh wait a minute you are already posting there doh.

So i wouldn't have a clue then sorry, have a look in the nwn linux forum

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=72

Oh wait a minute you are already posting there doh.

I think the problem (like just about every problem I have with my computer these days) might be related to glibc - I'm using Mandrake 9.1 (cooker), which uses a new version of glibc (2.3.1) which currently breaks wine. Since Ravage's installer uses wine, there's a good chance that this might be it.

Actually, I just tried installing with the latest version of the installer, and I got this right after it asked me to put in Installation Disk 1:

InstallShield 6.x Cabinet Util

Version 0.2 -] fOSSiL & Morlac - 2000 [-

chitin.key

wine: lstat /tmp/selfgz6766/wine/wineserver-feanna.local.nut/socket : No such file or directory

wine: lstat /tmp/selfgz6766/wine/wineserver-feanna.local.nut/socket : No such file or directory

Installshield extraction failed!

Did you export SETUP_CDROM before

installing?

Unable to find file 'data'

Unable to find file 'dmvault'

Unable to find file 'docs'

Unable to find file 'localvault'

Unable to find file 'modules'

Unable to find file 'servervault'

This looks pretty bad. I guess I'm going to have to reboot in Windows and do it the long and painful way...Damn!

Okay, it seems I was right: the version of glibc found in Mandrake 9.1 (glibc 2.3.1) has problems with Wine, which causes ravage's installer to fail (I think...)

I tried installing NWN using the "official" method (fortunately I still have a Windows box on my LAN), following all the steps detailed on the Bioware website and - lo and behold! - everything works fine! I did have to manually update NWN with the critical rebuild patch, however...

Finally...I can play NeverWinter Nights on my Linux box! Coooool!!!

Guest JaseP

I don't get this.

Every time I try to run a more modern game (wolfenstein, nwn) I get lock-ups. When I run older titles, the system works fine.

What could cause the x-windows system to hard-lock when loading a game???

I don't get this.

Every time I try to run a more modern game (wolfenstein, nwn) I get lock-ups. When I run older titles, the system works fine.

What could cause the x-windows system to hard-lock when loading a game???

That depends

for example the newer games may be using features of the nvidia drivers that older ones do not.

I mean opengl & or SDL calls not used in the older games.

I assume you have a nvidia card? have you tried yanc for configuring it?, switch between nvidia & agpart and see if you get a difference.

I rebuilt all SDL packages and the nvidia drivers for athlon arch, not that this seems to make a huge difference, but i haven't experience a crash to desktop since while playing games(though it is still early days).

I tried rebuilding XFree but got some strange non-dependency errors, must try again tonight.

Oh and i never have crash problems with RTCW, my only problem with that game has to do with PB.