[updated] Neverwinter Nights beta 2 is out

DOlson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolson, I found another approach to patch NWN to 1.29 on Linux, this requires WineX, however:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht...&forum=72&sp=45

Bioware should solicit more help from the Linux community, as a Linux installer is already available now despite what the official Linux client page claimed otherwise. Perhaps Ravage may consider to crank out an update program himself too. :)

Well, considering that they can't use that installer because the InstallShield EULA prohibits it... I don't see us getting any further. We've tried. Trust me.

And the only reason you would need WineX is for extracting that manual patch, which I have provided a link to in ZIP FORMAT. So if you don't have WineX, DO NOT GO AND BUY IT just for this purpose. Just use the zip and my patch.key (if you require it).

Well, considering that they can't use that installer because the InstallShield EULA prohibits it... I don't see us getting any further. We've tried. Trust me.

The EULA disallowed WineX to use the InstallShield? Any reason/explanation for that?

The EULA disallowed WineX to use the InstallShield? Any reason/explanation for that?

The EULA for InstallShield says that BioWare can't use any other means to access data inside of InstallShield CABs.

It has nothing to do with WineX. You don't need WineX to play this game.

Ravage's installer uses Wine and i6comp.exe to do this, and so BioWare can't use it legally.

hmm i just installed everything as per Dana Olsen's intructions.

I can start it up change video settings create a character but when i go to play it exits to desktop.

My SDL version is 1.2.4 the mandrake 9.0 version which is the wrong version for the game

i downloaded the sdl 1.2.5 source rpm and rebuilt it

how can i install it without uninstalling all the dependencies?

[root@bob i586]# urpmi --allow-nodeps SDL*

installing ./SDL-1.2.5-1.i586.rpm ./SDL-devel-1.2.5-1.i586.rpm

Preparing...                ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 from install of SDL-1.2.5-1 conflicts with file from package libSDL1.2-1.2.4-11mdk

Try installation without checking dependencies? (y/N) y

Preparing...                ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 from install of SDL-1.2.5-1 conflicts with file from package libSDL1.2-1.2.4-11mdk

[root@bob i586]# urpme libSDL1.2

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be removed (222 MB):

mplayer-0.90-0.rc4.4plf lbreakout2-2.3.2-2mdk libSDL_image1.2-1.2.2-3mdk csmash-0.6.4.2-6mdk vegastrike-data-0.3-1 libSDL1.2-1.2.4-11mdk libSDL_net1.2-1.2.4-5mdk xmms-more-vis-plugins-1.6.0-2mdk libSDL_ttf2.0-2.0.5-3mdk xine-plugins-1-0.beta6.1plf libSDL_mixer1.2-1.2.4-5mdk frozen-bubble-0.9.3-6mdk chromium-0.9.12-17mdk armagetron-0.1.4.9-10mdk toppler-0.96-8mdk xmms-smpeg-0.3.4-7mdk mures-0.5-2mdk xine-ui-0.9.13-2mdk perl-SDL-1.18-6mdk vegastrike-0.3-gcc3.2 tuxracer-0.61-10mdk libsmpeg0.4-0.4.4-18mdk freeciv-1.13.0-6mdk xine-dvdnav-1-0.beta6.1plf mplayer-gui-0.90-0.rc4.4plf rocksndiamonds-2.0.0-10mdk

Is this OK? (Y/n) n

[root@bob i586]#

Guest JaseP

wonderfull... :cry:

I'm experiencing the same problem with NWN as with the native version of RTCW,...

Loads of the levels drop off and I get X-windows lock-ups (mouse, keyboard, no action on screen, no HD activity, plus I have no way to access the system remotely to try and kill the x-server).

So 2 retail games, and 2 instances of X-windows lock-ups,...

It's obvious that I'm missing something in my XFree86 implementation, but for the life of me I don't know what.

Q3A runs fine as does Descent3, all the WineX games I have running fine with accelerated 3D. My OpenGL implementation uses AGPgart (KT333 is not supported). I'm using the stock 3123 kernel driver and an i586 rebuild of the GLX driver. Is it possible I need a link to the .so that I'm missing that these commercial games expect??? What do these commercial titles do differently from the non-commercial OpenGL titles???

hi..

I installed with ravages installer..moved the official ( from Bioware ) 1.10>1.29 patched zip file into blah/nwn DIR..unzipped it. ...unzipped linux binary .ran ./fixinstall and everything was honkeydorey...except if patch.key was prsent i'd get a SDL parachut deployed so I have to keep it renamed and out of the way..

mandrake 9/geforce4TI4200 on a PIV2.26 with 1GIG ram

so you dont need windows to do this!

cu

lee

-===

neighborlee. I think you downloaded an incomplete patch. You can't unzip the EXE, which is why it's in a ZIP format elsewhere on the Web... You're missing a lot of files to use a patch that is less than half the size of the proper one.

Then again, maybe the zip file is missing something?

I don't know who wrote the EULA...

Beta 2 is out.

So it's all about the legal issue.

Maybe Bioware should consider both set of update patches for Windows and Linux using different archive format and installer. That will eventually solve the update support problem in the future. Or, if the original Windows update is just a file-replacing installation package then another Update installer can be made to extract the update on Linux.

Guest JaseP

Ravage once again steps up to the plate and hits a base-clearer.

Unfortunateley, it still doesn't solve my problem. Does anyone know how to check for up-to-date libraries for dependency of an executable?

My problem has got to be a missing library or XF86Config-4 setting. I can't imagine any other effect. It's obviously not SDL. The 2D part works fine. FreeSpace 2 works. Q3A works, Descent3 works. I'm dumbfounded. 3D works in older games, wineX games...

Others seem to be using AGPgart, like me, but without problem.

I don't get it. HELP!!!