Deleting files

digitalfreedom

With Windows as we all know when you actually delete something its still there unless you use something like system mechanic to wipe the files totaly.So on Mandriva are there anytraces left of deleted files such as deleted /tmp files or removed files? If so how does one go about removing these traces?

Yes, the traces are still there.

Here's an article about it, along with an easy technique for erasing empty space on a file system:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117638/49/

Also, there are probably some utility programs that will wipe empty disk space (if you don't want to use the dd command mentioned in the article); http://www.sourceforge.net would be a good place to search for them.

Edited by jboy

I believe (and I maybe and probably are wrong) but if you overwrite the file with a blank file or a file filled with gibberish, that makes the original files contents unaccessible, or at least much harder to access. That seems to be what quite a few programs that claim to 'securely delete' files do anyway.

I would imagine that deleted files under Mandriva would just as readable as under Windows, unless of course Mandriva/Linux does some little tricks, (which wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think it does)

Nice link jboy, interesting stuff, a little to technical for me :unsure: and cetrainly seems to be a little more complicated than simply overwritting, I guess it depends on how determined they are on getting your info.