Running Webmin

digitalfreedom

I found this great program on icewalkers.com.Its called Webmin.Its a web based system admin tool for linux.IT SWEET!!!!!! For example I clicked on the servers tab and then clicked on apache.It told me I didnt have apache installed and would I like to install it.It did everything for me from the update to the install.This is a great program.Here is the direct link for it at icewalkers http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/510070/webmin.html Oh yeah they have TONS of great linux apps.Give em a try.If you install this post here and tell me how you like it.

moved from Software by tyme

Edited by mystified

good job exploring. seriously. i typically get most everything i want from either my own software cds or by default in the distro. this means i often times settle and end up not looking around for better products which are still opensource.

A great command for searching if an app exists:

urpmf --name webmin

it should give you a result, and then:

urpmi webmin

alternatively, within the gui you can click System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software and then do a search within here for the product by name, description, or files.

Once you've set up your easyurpmi sources using the link at the top of this page, you have access to about 15,000 packages. Why download manually, when it's all done easy(urpmi) for you.

I hav einstalled webmin from *rpm. Logged as an user (not root) I can start Webmin from the console. After "su" command and root password I type "webmin" and the Webmin runs.

How to create a Start menu item for webmin? E.g., I have other items as "Krusader with root rights". I click on the name and then I see a little window, where I type a root password and then Krusader start with root rights.

I'd like to have an item like this. I tried to make such command like "webmin -caption "%c" %i %m" or "su webmin" but it doesn't work. Well I do not manage command line well... Can I have any this item? How?

Thankl you!

I hav einstalled webmin from *rpm. Logged as an user (not root) I can start Webmin from the console. After "su" command and root password I type "webmin" and the Webmin runs.

How to create a Start menu item for webmin? E.g., I have other items as "Krusader with root rights". I click on the name and then I see a little window, where I type a root password and then Krusader start with root rights.

I'd like to have an item like this. I tried to make such command like "webmin -caption "%c" %i %m" or "su webmin" but it doesn't work. Well I do not manage command line well... Can I have any this item? How?

Thankl you!

Just point a browser at https://localhost:10000

you can bookmark it if you like or konqueror https://localhost:10000

Webmin is pretty old, it's been around for ages. I find it pretty handy for doing small things, but I would still recommend working directly with configuration files for servers. Webmin has many projects that it needs to stay up to date with in order to work and when, say, SAMBA change the parameters of a config file, Webmin isn't always that quick at making the necessary changes.

Still, it is a good learning tool and handy for smallish operations.

Webmin is pretty old, it's been around for ages.
You make it sound like its not updated...

Version 1.310 (28 November 2006)

I find it pretty handy for doing small things, but I would still recommend working directly with configuration files for servers. Webmin has many projects that it needs to stay up to date with in order to work and when, say, SAMBA change the parameters of a config file, Webmin isn't always that quick at making the necessary changes.

Compared to the mandriva tools its a dream... at least it doesn't break say SWAT it just says it doesn't know the directive..

Last SAMBA update Version 1.280 (16 June 2006)

This corresponded with the PRE_RELEASE of 10 Jul 2006 Samba 3.0.23 Available for Download last stable major release... since then its only bugfixes to 3.0.23d...

I don't know what version Mandriva are installing but I doubt its any newer than the current version.

Still, it is a good learning tool and handy for smallish operations.

Unlike the Mandriva crap it tells you exactly what files its using and in most cases allows you to hand edit them AS WELL ... within the GUI. Also it works, unlike most of the mandriva server tools and it also runs on STABLE OS's (i.e. NOT Mandriva).

I know many sysads who use it on huge multi platform networks daily... I don't know anyone who would seriously try and run Mandriva as a server in anything past mandriva 9? (and that includes mandriva) ...so the server tools inMandriva are beyond useless... EVEN MANDRIVA can't run a POST 9 Mandriva as a server..

The probably tried installing 2007 ??? who knows.??

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?ur...ww.mandriva.com

So the bottom line, if you want to run a server don't Run Mandriva ... hence their tools are pointless and obviously crap since they don't even eat their own dog food!

So the bottom line, if you want to run a server don't Run Mandriva ... hence their tools are pointless and obviously crap since they don't even eat their own dog food!
:unsure: - I've run a Mandriva server a few times, it actually works quite well and was easy to install and set up. Webmin is a nice addition and helps tweak things a bit more, but it has it's own faults. I'm not sure why you feel the need to make claims like this, Gowator, but this thread was about webmin and not Mandriva's tools...might I suggest we stick to that topic please? Thanks :)

:unsure: - I've run a Mandriva server a few times, it actually works quite well and was easy to install and set up. Webmin is a nice addition and helps tweak things a bit more, but it has it's own faults. I'm not sure why you feel the need to make claims like this, Gowator, but this thread was about webmin and not Mandriva's tools...might I suggest we stick to that topic please? Thanks :)

The point is if you use mandriva then webmin is probably "as good as it gets" apart from hand editing...

Its not behind, certainly not in comparison with the drak wizards... it certainly has faults but on the whole its a much better tool than something that hides what file is being edited...

Nor is it locked to one distro or even OS...

Now Suse is pretyy much toast as a distro there are only very few distro's screwing up linux with distro specific config tools which break non distro specific tools or vendor suppled tools like SWAT or CUPS-config

So now is the renaissance of non distro specific tools...IMHO the death of Suse (non too soon). which are/were the lifeblood of linux or OS in general...

However the main point is I don't know anyone using Mandriva as a serious server distro... it might be nice to play/learn but its no Debian stable or Solaris etc. hence spending time learning mandriva tools is a waste of time for professional use wheras learning webmin is an excellent start whether you use RH/FC/Debian or Solaris but most of all it works across all of them.

One reason webmin is so good is because so many server apps are supported at the same time (contemperaneously) as any stable release (as in the SAMBA example)... so unlike the drak wizards it doesn't go breaking stuff.

I'm also a CLI guy, but I do have to admit that managing say ProFTPd via webmin is WAY more comfortable than using nano, or even the buggy gproftpd frontend.

Same goes for samba... and yes, some webmin modules aren't very good (a few are even horribly broken), but it's a nice tool... factly, it's the only gui administration tool for my favorite Linux flavour.

• 3 weeks later...
Just point a browser at https://localhost:10000

you can bookmark it if you like or konqueror https://localhost:10000

Well but I just cannot run webmin at all. If I type https://localhost:10000 I get "error -12263". If I try to run webmin from console: "bash: webmin: command not found". I have updated webmin - those are all changes from last time.

Can anybody help please? :wall: