IRC Program

liquidzoo

I'm looking for an IRC program for Linux (yes, I know there are a LOT of them out there), but I either need it to be able to read and process mIRC *.mrc scripts, or I need it to support a scripting language that has the same ease of use and functionality as the built in mIRC language. Specifically panel support and the ability to launch scripts from a panel. A program that runs on both Linux and Windows would be ideal.

Before someone suggests looking for a script that has similar functionality, let me say that this is a very specific script, and I need it to work exactly the same on a linux IRC program as it does on mIRC. Porting is an option if the language is easy enough to learn, but that's where a Windows client would come into play. I currently only have linux in a vmware session on my XP box so I would very much like to test this script out on Windows if at all possible. I know for a fact, since I wrote it and designed the panel, that it works with mIRC.

So, any suggestions?

although it would help to know a little bit more about what you're script is, generics are difficult to work with.
It's a secret, he can't tell us about his side-panel-pr0n-fetcher...oh no! :o

iphitus and steve covered it...either move to perl or you're S.O.L. :P

I can't get into specifics due to other factors, but no it's not pr0n :P

Anyway, it's basically a panel with a series of tabs. Each of those tabs has buttons on it that fire off several lines of text into a pre-configured channel. It has several configuration options when you right click in the channel to set up certain parts of the script.

Vague, eh?

Anyway, would something like this be possible in perl? I wouldn't really know where to start for it, but I'm curious about it. I'm sure that firing off the lines of text is possible, but I need to know if the panel itself can be created (supposed to be idiot proof, so that anyone can use it with little or no training whatsoever)

I don't know if you can create panels...you'd have to do some perl-gtk magic and probably need to edit xchat some, or possibly just have another window open up from inside of xchat...not sure how that would manage.

Man, it would be really helpful to know more details about the functionality. Perl *should* be able to do something like that. I will have to test when school lets out for Xmas.

Here's some tips on coding perl scripts for XChat:

http://www.xchat.org/xchatdox2.html

But, it does sound to me from reading it that you would need more in-depth programming to add a panel to XChat.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Man, it would be really helpful to know more details about the functionality. Perl *should* be able to do something like that. I will have to test when school lets out for Xmas.

Here's some tips on coding perl scripts for XChat:

http://www.xchat.org/xchatdox2.html

But, it does sound to me from reading it that you would need more in-depth programming to add a panel to XChat.

to add the panel to xchat, you'd need to know C, as afaik there isnt access to the ui from perl.

however, to display a panel, you dont need to know any C. perl is capable of launching a seperate gtk window with whatever you like in it, as is python -- both of which xchat supports scripting in -- so if you dont mind a floating window, you could just use those.

That's exactly what I would need, actually. With mIRC, there is a dialog editor available that will code out the dialog dimensions and appearance for you. Basically this is a free floating dialog with 4 tabs and several buttons per tab (4 on the fewest, 10 or so on the largest). Each of these buttons executes part of the script, that basically dumps a bunch of formatted text into the chat channel that is configured at some point in time (could be different each time, it is configured with some other options as part of the script).

The text that is dumped, aside from a couple of the configurable options, rarely changes.