Why use this particular Linux Distro?

Guest brandnwtolinux

Guest brandnwtolinux

As My name says,,,,,brandnwtolinux. Can any or everyone tell me why they are using Mandriva vs. any other distro such as: Fedora, suse, xandros, ubantu for instance. I have had so many friends that are linux users tell me to use this or that it is getting quite confusing.

Thanks

[Moved from Installing Mandriva by tyme]

Mandriva is a very easy to install and use distro. It has tools that make it similar in experience to a windows system. Some Linux distros need to be setup from the command line (similar to a dos shell) and are not as user friendly. But all are good.

There are a lot of distro's out there and everyone has different preferences. You really need to figure out which one fits your preferences. To narrow down your options, you could try using a distro chooser - it basically asks a few questions and suggests a couple distro's based on your answers.

I personally don't use Mandriva as my main Linux distribution, I prefer Arch Linux - but I wouldn't suggest Arch for a new Linux user, unless you wanted to dig down into Linux a bit right from the start. Most people prefer an "easier" distribution to start with.

Guest brandnwtolinux

Thanks all for your input, I just used the distro chooser, it picked Mandriva, and two different ubuntu's.

Another question: What is the difference between Mandriva Free 2007 and Mandriva Discovery or PowerPack?

Oh... I am late... nothing to add. :D

Except one thing: Once you decide to install Linux, feel free to ask any questions you have. There are no stupid questions. ;)

Yes this community grew out of Mandriva users, indeed you can read the sotry on the front page but we will gladdly help anyone with any linux distro...

I'm a big fan of "A distro is for Christmas, not for life" and Mandriva is a fine start in your linux adventure but it doesn't need to be your last. Many of us have "graduated" to different distro's for one reason or another but I would suggest, choose a distro and stick with it for a year... or until you feel you have mastered it enough to seek more challenges and perhaps want a bit more control..

Mandriva is aimed at new linux users so its a great place to start.. but if you find frustrations or problems its best to persevere and solve them instead of trying another distro and finding a different problem.

Good luck and have fun :D

Guest brandnwtolinux

Thanks again everyone, and I will ask questions. From what I have seen from the posts I have read, the Linux world is pretty large. I have seen posts and answers to post from people all over the world.

it really is a global linux world. i'm in north america (the united states). but there are people here from australia, all over europe (off the top of my head) and i'm sure south america, africa and asia.

Why use this particular Linux Distro?

It was the first Linux distro I tried, I have since tried others like a few of the 'buntu's, SUSE, Fedora, among others, but my preference was for Mandriva, the others were all nice and all, but I decided to stay with Mandriva, I at least new my way around it a little bit (emphasis on little), and will continue with it for the foreseeable future. Mandriva is very easy to install and relatively user friendly, which is important, if not essential for me, don't know if I would ever venture into the more 'technical' type distro's.

Another question: What is the difference between Mandriva Free 2007 and Mandriva Discovery or PowerPack?

The main thing would be the proprietary stuff, drivers, programs like Adobe acrobat reader, Flash, etc, being include on the installation DVD/CD (I can only speak for Powerpack), but you can get most/all that stuff anyway and install it if you want on the Free version. The main difference for me was that the Powerpack version gets my USB ASDL modem set up and working out of the box, where as with the Free version I have to do a little leg work, to get it up and running. I didn't install much of the other proprietary stuff, if any, like Adobe reader etc, I'm happy with the FOSS alternatives thus far.

I joined the Mandriva Club not for the Proprietary stuff or to be able to get the Powerpack version, but just to give back a little, I was quite happy using the Free version, but now I have the Powerpack, I may as well use it.