mandriva 2007 one kde hangs occasionally on boot

holr

A strange problem, I am having difficulty determing what is causing it. Sometimes when I boot i get the bootsplash (press "esc" for verbose mode" and it hangs, in the verbose mode, i can see the most recent text reads "setting hostname localhost: [ ok ]". The only way i can seem to unfreeze it is crtc-c which, of course, messes up the boot sequence and i need to restart the computer again. If it helps, the option that does normally come next when everything works is "checking root file system [ ok]".

Any ideas why the computer may be hanging? I get this problem on two computers (a dell inspiron 9100 and an ibm t43p)

I think if you press ESC you can bypass a specific service, although I'm not sure, just remember hearing it or reading it somewhere.
You press ESC to get into verbose mode, and if you do this soon enough you can the press i to go into interactive mode. Setting hostname shouldn't cause any hang, but checking root filesystem could - sometimes this can take a little while; is there any hard drive activity during this "hang"?

When bootup stops after hostname, hit reset on your computer, it will then reboot, and boot up fully this time.
That's not only drastic, but also a very, very bad idea. You're better off hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del to attempt to send the computer into reboot mood. A hard reboot like that while the computer is trying to start services and doing various things can make your situation even worse.

When bootup stops after hostname, hit reset on your computer, it will then reboot, and boot up fully this time.
That's not only drastic, but also a very, very bad idea. You're better off hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del to attempt to send the computer into reboot mood. A hard reboot like that while the computer is trying to start services and doing various things can make your situation even worse.

Agree it`s a bad idea, but it might hold a clue as to what the problem is. The fact that it works on second boot attempt.

• 2 weeks later...
I have same problem, since installing 2007 a few months ago.

What I do may sound drastic, but it`s okay.

Would be interested in knowing why this happens :)

I have the same problem.. the only way out is a hard reboot alt-crtl-del does not work..

those of you have issues might want to consider posting your system specs to look for anything common (i.e. motherboard, network card, video card, etc.). specifically, look for a common chipset...things of that nature.

you may also want to start a bug report at http://qa.mandriva.com/, or search to see if there is already one relating to this issue.

Oh, and I thought I was the only one in the whole world having this problem. Since upgrading to 2007 I've had the occasional problem with MIDI hanging (using either the midi port on my sound card or the USB interface I have) ... when that happens I have to hit RESET ... and then the reboot hangs like the other posters.

I was thinking that it was related to the MIDI hanging, but after reading the above I'm suspecting that this is not the issue. I've been using Linux since 1.x days on lots of different computers and never had a problem like this. Very strange.

I have (last night) installed a new kernel 2.6.17.13-mm-desktop-3mdv and we'll see if this solved the MIDI and/or the boot problem.

BTW, speaking of MIDI when do the kernels get upgraded with newer ALSA stuff? I see that the new kernel is still using ALSA 1.0.12.