nvidia driver probs. already searched.

ezroller

Have you guys tried -b4 startx and after

lsmod (to see if NVdriver is loaded)

modprobe NVdriver (if it's not)

or

insmod NVdriver (if not)

The driver is actually nvidia.o and I don't know how mdk does it concerning devfsd, but on LFS with NVIDIA installed by tar I had to

modprobe nvidia (instead of NVdriver)

to load the driver b4 startx, but after the first time, devfsd would do it on its own with startx. I realy don't think this is the prob but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

OK, I can boot into X now. I see the nvida splash screen as X is starting up, but its in a really low resolution. I can't get X to go to 1600x1200. And when I try to do what bvc suggested just now, I see this:

[root@Source pwolfe1]# modprobe NVdriver

modprobe: Can't locate module NVdriver

[root@Source pwolfe1]# insmod NVdriver

insmod: NVdriver: no module by that name found

[root@Source pwolfe1]#

OK, I did that, and I have nvidia.o in the directory you listed. I logged out, restarted X and then logged into KDE. Still some BS rez. I'm at a loss here. everything says 1600x1200, but its not.

This only happened after the nvidia drivers. It worked perfectly at that rez before the nvidia drivers.

You know.. this may be dumb.. but check the resolution in your monitor config. Usually in the monitor menu, where there are options such as sizing, moving left or right, etc, there is an information section where you can find out the resolution, refresh rate, etc. Maybe the resolution is already 1600x1200, but the kde desktop makes it look like 1024.x768.

BTW, the driver name for 4191 series is nvidia not NVdriver.

Also, check your monitor configuration using XFDrake. Maybe the monitor chosen by mandrake auto-detection is wrong. When I install mandrake 9.1, I have to manually choose my monitor (princeton EO74) because XFdrake put my monitor as generic 1024x768x70hz monitor.. Heh.. I know my monitor can do better than that.

Guest arise

Ok got mine to work by manually modprobing nvidia...and yes in the 41.xx drivers, the module is called nvidia, not NVdriver as before.

I would go back to 3x.xx series if i had problems like ezroller, people seem to really complain about the quality of the 4x.xx series.

I noticed a funny "feature" of glxgears :P Can anyone guess how i made my FPS fluctuate so much, like below?

[one@Gremlin one]$ glxgears

27523 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5504.600 FPS

35049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7009.800 FPS

35139 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7027.800 FPS

35131 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7026.200 FPS

44011 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8802.200 FPS

54991 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10998.200 FPS

54938 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10987.600 FPS

42410 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8482.000 FPS

35116 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7023.200 FPS

48642 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9728.400 FPS

38524 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7704.800 FPS

37077 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7415.400 FPS

82570 frames in 5.0 seconds = 16514.000 FPS

91195 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18239.000 FPS

91503 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18300.600 FPS

OK, I did that, and I have nvidia.o in the directory you listed.  I logged out, restarted X and then logged into KDE.  Still some BS rez.  I'm at a loss here.  everything says 1600x1200, but its not.

This only happened after the nvidia drivers.  It worked perfectly at that rez before the nvidia drivers.

try using yanc to setup your xfree

http://yanc.sourceforge.net/index-en.html

I find this really good for setting up nvidia stuff. You can specify resolution in here too, but if your monitors not correctly identified in the xfree config file it won't work.

BTW i believe that if your settings for the monitor resolution aren't correct it tries a lower resolution mode(anyone confirm this?)

So make sure you select the right monitor or manually enter the correct resolutions and refresh rate etc..(complete PITA).

I will check out yanc.

On the monitor issue, I have a dell Mxxx I forget it now, but XFdrake sees the monitor and defaults to it, so I changed to a generic 1600x1200. Nothing changed. When I went back to the dell, I can select it but it tells me no plug and play monitor detected. So I think it definately has to do with the monitor. I may just find myself entering in all of this by hand.