nvidia resolutions [solved]

Guest Jarhead

Guest Jarhead

Hello all,

I have just installed my first version of Linux (mandriva 2007) on a dell dimension desktop. Tryin to make the switch from windows but I'm not picking up this os too quickly.

I guess the first problem is that I cannot get a decent resolution outta my video card. When everything looks stretched it doesnt really make me wanna use this, visuals are everything...

All I can get is 1280x1024 and I use a 20" widescreen that I'm lookin for about 1680x1050 on. Using the 8776 nvidia drivers.

If I go to the newest driver, will I get better resolutions or is this it for linux??

Thanks for any Help.

hey jarhead. welcome to the board!

i would try to offer a GUI-based way of fixing this problem, but I'm not sure how. when you went through the install did you pick the right monitor, etc.? you may be able to pick the right monitor by going through the setup for Graphical display and picking generic lcd display with the appropriate max dimension. i'm not running mandriva right now, but these things are pretty standard.

otherwise, you have in the /etc/X11 folder a file named xorg.conf. this file contains the setup for your monitor. you can presume that the refresh and sync rates are perfectly fine. there should be a section designated for "Screen" and a Subsection "Display". there should then be a line marked Modes. on that line you probably have the resolution "1280x1024" and nothing higher or you could get a higher resolution. you can probably simply add in a line "1680x1050" and this can work.

always backup the xorg.conf file first. do a

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup

or something similar so you don't lose that original (guaranteed to work to an extent) file. we all learn to some extent (literally, everyone who uses linux frequently) by tinkering.

good luck. i hope this helps. if i'm telling harhead to do something stupid, to everybody else on here, please correct me.

jon

Hi Jarhead

I'm using a 22" widescreen monitor at 1680x1050. Although I have the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9629-pkg2.run package installed now, I was still getting that resolution before installing it. I have the nVidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card. I chose "Generic > Flat Panel 1680 x 1050" for my monitor. I can post my xorg.conf file if you like, but your monitor may use a different modeline.

Here are some suggestions that might help:

1. When you make a change to your screen resolution it would pay to restart the X server and not just logout and log back in again. When you are at the login screen you can press ALT+E (and I think also CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE does the same thing).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Post your monitor settings and your screen resolution settings here. In the Mandriva Linux Control Center (also called "Configure Your Computer" in the System > Configuration menu) go to:

-- Hardware > Configure your monitor (and note your settings);

-- Hardware > Change the screen resolution (and note your settings)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Information from your X logfile would be very helpful. Assuming you are using KDE, open a terminal by opening konsole (in the menu it is System > Terminals > Konsole). You will need the root password. Type the following at the prompt:

su <enter>
(enter root password) <enter>
grep -i mode /var/log/Xorg.0.log <enter>

Highlight the output with your mouse and then in your web browser just middle-click to paste it here.

Hopefully we can help you get it sorted.

Cheers

skinky

Guest Jarhead

Thanks to both for the help.

Jon, you actually got me pokin around and I found the "configure your computer" skinky mentioned. In it, there was an option for 1900xsomewhere around 1400... dont remember exactly but it had a lot more resolution options. I tried setting it to a higher res but could only get 1450x ?? out of it. My monitor is set for a Dell 2005wfp, I actually have a 2007wfp but there was no option for it.

I'll try skinky's suggestions when I get back on the system.

Thanks.

With nvidia cards, I have had better results using nvidia-settings. If you launch it as root (su to root from a console, then type "nvidia-settings") then you can save your changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Note: the nvidia driver may use monitor0 rather than monitor1 in the config, so you may have to edit /etc/X1/xorg.conf manually. If you get an IO error, that is the problem. The card and the monitor must agree with the listed devices in the file.

Guest Jarhead

Skinky, I tried switching to a generic flat panel 1680x1050 with a restart of the X server before login. Didnt make a difference.

So now my monitor is as I said above, my res in Configure my computer does not have a 1680x1050 option. It has a 1400x1050, 1600x1200 and 1920x1440. When I right click on desktop, config desktop and display, it only goes up to the 1400x1050 res.

My X logfile is:

(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension

(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU

(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1600x1200"; removing.

(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "480x360"; removing.

(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1400x1050"

(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

(**) Keyboard1: XkbModel: "pc105"

Ixthusdan, there are no res options in nvidia-settings.

Edited by Jarhead

Guest Jarhead

Well, I got it to the res I wanted!! Finally!

Turns out I upgraded to the latest (9629) and went to conf my comp and selected "other" as a res (probably coulda done that before but didnt even see it) then restarted the box and it's at 1680x1050. The world is sooo much better when everything isn't squished!!

Thanks for all the help, and I hope you guys like helping cuz I'm sure I'll have many questions...but I'm a quick learner so it shouldn't be that bad.

Ixthusdan, the new driver does have res settings in nvidia-settings. Thanks.

Edited by Jarhead