Sabayon Linux

I learnt a lot putting my mail servers together and what not. I suppose if you're just installing and building a desktop system you don't learn much as it's just emerging kde or whatnot, than actually editing the config files and making all sorts of changes, etc, etc.

A lot of it comes down to what you're doing with the system. I've found with arch that I learnt stuff from having to add stuff to /etc/rc.conf and the way the wireless is configured as well isn't quite the same as if you use another distro. Each distro has it's way of doing things.

Don't worry, I'm not slating arch. I like it, and it does have it's place for me. If I was building a desktop and was thinking of Gentoo or Arch, then I would use Arch - because of the compiling aspect of Gentoo.

For a server, I like to use Gentoo instead of Arch or any other distro. My reasons are that when I have stuff to install, eg: mail server, and I need certain functionality - a lot of the packages don't have the options compiled into them that I want. Therefore, I need to compile. And compiling and typing command lines I'm OK with but it takes time. And sometimes, I just prefer to edit the /etc/make.conf and add the USE parameters I need, and then I emerge, and the package is compiled exactly how I need it.

Don't worry, I'm not slating arch. I like it, and it does have it's place for me. If I was building a desktop and was thinking of Gentoo or Arch, then I would use Arch - because of the compiling aspect of Gentoo....For a server, I like to use Gentoo instead of Arch or any other distro.

don't worry, I see exactly what you mean, I wouldnt use arch on a server either, and I'm a dev.

I'd use debian, quicker security updates, and a super stable tree.

James

The problem with Vector Linux was that they were using Gentoo's mirrors for their distro, which pissed them off. And to be honest, they had every right to. Vector should have had it's own mirrors set up and not leech of someone else.

Dude, I agree.... added to this were users going to the forum and asking for help when vector was leeching their tree. I'm just saying, because of this in the past Sayayon users might experience some hostility, especially if they are not running their own tree.

IMHO you can fix anything on the Gentoo forum.... there are a lot of experienced users so it seems like a good resource to loose.

For a server, I like to use Gentoo instead of Arch or any other distro. My reasons are that when I have stuff to install, eg: mail server, and I need certain functionality - a lot of the packages don't have the options compiled into them that I want. Therefore, I need to compile. And compiling and typing command lines I'm OK with but it takes time. And sometimes, I just prefer to edit the /etc/make.conf and add the USE parameters I need, and then I emerge, and the package is compiled exactly how I need it.

I second what iph said.....

For a server you will find it very rare not to find a package with the options compiled how you want... in Debian. You can choose between 10 apache packages depending what you want compiled in.... (for instance) and obviously you can always get the source ... but I have never needed that for server packages, there is ample choice...

Solaris 10 "roxxx0x0x0" as a server :thumbs:

So does RHEL/Debian/FreeBSD, all the other crap can stay home on the desktop/laptop...... B)

I used RR(pre-saby) like a year ago or longer, it was decent then. I just get tired of all the 500+ distros that are .000001% change from an up stream distro but eh, whatever. :P

For me, Sabayon is another rather "useless" distro. There is already VLOS as an "easy Gentoo" distro. And now there is also the Gentoo live-installer... who needs another Gentoo-based distro that is almost 100% Gentoo?

[off-topic]Really, while choice is nice, I'd prefer that people don't waste their time and energy on yet another distro. 350+ distros, that is getting silly. The more distros we have, the less developers per distro we get. The result is less advancement imho. And there are more distros where you don't know if they will survive long enough or if they will ever release a new iso image anytime. 30-50 distros would be more than enough imho.[/off-topic]

That said, I stick to the big ones. Fedora and Debian (plus Mdv on one laptop). B)