Sabayon Linux

Based on Gentoo sounds good to me, I love Gentoo :P

I might have to download it and try it in vmware this week.

EDIT:

:shock: it's 3GB. I'll leave it downloading overnight tonight :)

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

I was thinking to give it a go, so I would like to hear from people who tried Sabayon. What's impression of it? Strengths and weakness'?

I haven't tried it but you piqued my interest :D

Sabayon Linux is a live DVD designed to transform a computer into a powerful Gentoo Linux system in less than 5 minutes. Gentoo Linux is a Linux distribution powered by a software install manager engine called "Portage". Besides functioning as a live DVD, Sabayon Linux can also be installed on a hard disk, acting effectively as an easy-to-use Gentoo installation disk. The live DVD includes a large range of desktop environments and open source software applications, such as KDE, GNOME, XFce, Fluxbox, KOffice, OpenOffice.org, FreeNX, amaroK, Kaffeine, etc.

Ok the 5 minute install sounds cool

SabayonLinux is not part of the Gentoo project and are not directed or managed by Gentoo Foundation, Inc.

Gentooers don't seem to like this much.... but anyway....Vector linux seems to be somewhat badly regarded...

Gentoo is a fine distro IMHO... but one of the best things about it is its 100% pro-user choice and learning.

Personally I don't see portage as a huge advantage... for usability... more as a hobby...

Super tweaked user compiles don't add much speed and often the opposite if you don't know what your doing...

So to me Gentoo is a great enthusiasts distro for people who like to play with it... break it and fix it....

but using it on a server? Im not going to make world.... so....

Sabayon might be really cool, it might be a great 2nd distro if your using gentoo? (break gentoo and have Sabayon waiting) but the questions are then....

Is it competetly compatible once installed?

As you know I like kantotix.... but I also think knoppix is great! BUT knoppix isn't pure Debian once installed, it retains some weird stuff from the liveCD... What I really like about kanotix is the 12 min install into a PURE debian env....

If it works in Debian Testing/Unstable it works in kanotix so its really a quick way to get 90% installed very quick...

On top of this my server runs Debian stable... so having the two as "main" distro's work for me...

often I try stuff on my unstable machine before messing with the server... or equally I can boot the server (after plugging in a mouse and keyb) with the live CD if I ever need...

The real question for me is what exactly is Sabayon?

gentoo-based? pfft. ain't touchin' it with a 5-foot poll, i've had enough of gentoo's "compile-every-living-thing-until-you-just-wanna-jump-off-a-very-tall-building" :lol:

LOL, that's kinda what I meant.... except it can be fun and you learn a lot ... wheras Im wondering if its all done for you then what's the point ...

To me the Gentoo "compile-every-living-thing-until-you-just-wanna-jump-off-a-very-tall-building" is not actually like that... at first.... its fun and the problem is it then starts to suck you in... (like this forum perhaps) until one day you just need to install something... and you end up spending hours tweaking this that and the other.

As a way to waste time I'd recommend it highly over mass TV or many other things.... because it is educational...

but in the same way I think you either become a "fan boy" or like mystie is doing look for something else when you just ant something to work...

I think it might be good in this context...? (I dunno I said might) if you are using Gentoo but sometimes just need something that works... since if its basically gentoo with installer and tools at least its not a mind set change...

at first.... its fun and the problem is it then starts to suck you in... (like this forum perhaps) until one day you just need to install something... and you end up spending hours tweaking this that and the other.
Exactly. Happened too many times for me. Now I run Arch, because honestly it's just as fast as Gentoo.

If your goal is to learn and you have the patience required to go through gentoo's install, I suggest doing LFS instead.

Artificial Intelligence

I was thinking to give it a go, so I would like to hear from people who tried Sabayon. What's impression of it? Strengths and weakness'?

I have tried it back in December through April. It was kinda like kubuntu for gentoo only better.

Back then they seemed to be concentrating on 64 bit arch. I have only 32bit.

The developers are asking for input from their user base and responding positively.

I plan on trying it again as soon as I can free up some hard drive space.

Apart from that, for me linux is linux.

at first.... its fun and the problem is it then starts to suck you in... (like this forum perhaps) until one day you just need to install something... and you end up spending hours tweaking this that and the other.
Exactly. Happened too many times for me. Now I run Arch, because honestly it's just as fast as Gentoo.

If your goal is to learn and you have the patience required to go through gentoo's install, I suggest doing LFS instead.

I think they are both fine. in their own ways... and the speed issue is really moot... even arch specific compiling doesn't really help that much... 90% of the time at least... and if your not an expert then you end up using a genkernel or just taking safe options anyway.... in real life this doesn't seem to actually show much speed increase.

90% of my install is i386... sure kmail takes 1/1000th of a sec longer ??? so the only real optimised stuff I have is MMedia... I use the kanotix kernels that slh makes because he's significantly better than I am at applying the right patches and optimisations ... and these are on the fly compiled... (if you like)... same as the nvidia driver (again of you like)

So once you dispense with that I don't see the mileage in portage? SO yeah, I'd say why not arch....

Nothing wrong with Gentoo IMHO but its somewhat of a "play about distro" but in the educational sense

Add to this the reaction of most gentooers to distro's built on gentoo using their portage tree and I wouldn't want to turn up on the gentoo forum asking for help!

I saw quite a few vector-linux users told where to go .... which is fair enough really .. but from user POV...Sabayon will need to take care of this themselves.

The problem with Vector Linux was that they were using Gentoo's mirrors for their distro, which pissed them off. And to be honest, they had every right to. Vector should have had it's own mirrors set up and not leech of someone else.

So yeah, I'd not try Vector even though it's Gentoo based. My download failed last night of Sabayon so won't be able to try it today. Will have to take a look later after I've restarted the download.

Arch is good in that you don't have to compile everything, but I had more problems with things not working in Arch, that Gentoo did easily and without problems. I have Gentoo running in a vmware machine at work for testing and learning. I did have arch, but after a load of updates it borked, so I deleted it. Gentoo never did that to me. I can only think it might have been down to vmware than if I had a physical machine install. That's the only defence I can offer to Arch for me. I also use Gentoo on my servers.

But of course, we all have our own distro preferences :P

heh, as for gentoo being a 'learning' distro, I see a lot of gentoo users coming over to Arch who havn't learnt anything about how linux works -- only how emerge and the gentoo way works, or have just setup gentoo from a step by step guide, and learnt bugger all about anything during the setup.

James

Edited by iphitus