"reinstall" my dvd

Vdubjunkie

Well, here is my latest. Actually I've been having problems for some time.

The symlink from /dev/dvd is to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 which is a symlink to /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd. That is cool, I understand that. All about what ide channel, etc.

My server though has a cdrw and it "emulates" scsi. I think that is because of the nature of cd burning. Just putting that out there to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Basically my problem is that I cannot seem to mount this dvd and read from it to save my life. I've tried changing my /etc/fstab to point at various points in the "chain" /dev/cdrom0.. /dev/cdroms/cdrom0..etc.

My next thought was to simply "remove" it and prompt linux to find it again and reinstall it. My problem is that I have no idea how to do that. What I'd like to know is what all needs to be removed and how to prompt the system to find the drive and install it again without rebooting. I'm sure this is possible. One of the great advantages of linux, right?

As usual.. anybody who can help me.. i would be greatly appreciative.

if I understand correctly, movie DVD's can't be mounted. It's like an audio CD, they just don't mount. Did you try using a program, i.e. Ogle or Xine (with the correct plugins) to play the DVD?

Not sure if this is any help, but here are some examples of how I use my dvd/cdwriter

sh-2.05b$ egrep cdrom /etc/fstab

/devices/cdroms/cdrom0          /mnt/cdrom iso9660      defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0

sh-2.05b$ ls -l /dev/dvd

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Feb 21 20:51 /dev/dvd -> /devices/cdroms/cdrom0

This is how I play DVDs:

sh-2.05b$ mplayer -dvd 1

This is how I play VCDs:

sh-2.05b$ mplayer -cdrom-device /devices/cdroms/cdrom0 vcd://

This is how I play a file:

sh-2.05b$ mount /mnt/cdrom

sh-2.05b$ mplayer /mnt/cdrom/The_Ring-divx-qnr.avi

This is how I write to the dvd/cdwriter

This is just one example, a script I use after using transcode to convert a movie to VCD, then I use vcdimager, then I use this script:

root@linux:/home/terry# cat /root/bin/writevcd 

#!/bin/sh

#

cdrdao write -v 2 --speed 16 --device 0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc --eject videocd.cue

Is this a combo drive dvd-rom/cdrw?

For playing DVD I created a symlink ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd even though my DVD drive is master on my secondary IDE channel this works for me.

There was a problem I had for while immediately after installing 9.0 It was something to do with KDE and desktop icons. It prevented me from accessing my DVD ROM from the Removable/media/DVD icon.

The fix was simple enough: Rename Desktop to something like ~Desktop and create a new folder called Desktop Log-out and then log in again. sounds weird biut it worked for me.

guys.. thanks, but I'm sorry. My problem isn't really a lack of understanding how to access the drive. I just provided as much detail as I could to paint a clear picture of what the setup was like. It isn't a combo. It simply does not mount anything. Yes, I have tried various programs, but if I'm not mistaken, if you can't mount it as root regardless of media, etc. then you pretty much can't use it.

History goes like this. After installing 9.0 it worked. I could mount and umount and use Ogle, MediaPlayer, etc. All of a sudden one day I tried to mount a cdr or something and it actually locked my terminal. The light on the drive went solid and I wound up killing the terminal and walking away. Since then I have attempted with the same result and mounted the /dev's at various points in the chain of symlinks. No go. I'm sure there is a reason I could root out with enough patience, but I would really like to figure out how to make the system find the hardware and install it all without having to reboot even more than figuring out what got whacked.

Anybody have any thoughts on doing that? Also, I am preparing to add a usb zip drive to it and figured the same procedure would be helpful there. Any help would make me very happy!!

That sounds alot like a hardware problem.

Other wise have you updated the Kernel? If you have try reverting and if you haven't try installing the latest one (19-24mdk).

Also if you have a look at Mandrake Control Center > boot options there should be a app there that allows you to tell the machine you want to redo a part of the installation process next time you reboot (eg hardware detection).