CPU running too hot? [solved]

mystified

I'm in Mandriva on the desktop cause I'm having some issues with gentoo atm and I can't even download a file without getting the following:

Message from syslogd@localhost at Sun Nov 26 16:59:06 2006 ...
localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

localhost kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold

localhost kernel: CPU1: Running in modulated clock mode

Now I run something in gentoo to monitor the cpu and although it ocassionally runs hot that's only when I'm doing a bunch of compiling. I built this box. It has two fans along with the cpu fan. It's in an open space. It's been thoroughly cleaned. Is it really too hot and if so any ideas why and why only in Mandriva? This doesn't make sense to me. Oh, and it's running too hot even though I was only using wget to download 2007. Weird?

It's an Intel Pentium 4. I just find it hard to believe that it's getting hot in Mandriva, yet I do all that compiling in gentoo. I'm more inclined to believe it's a bug in Mandriva than that my cpu is getting hot. I just wanted to see if somebody else had run across this problem.

just about every board either has acpi, or a hardware sensor. take a look and get these goin if you can so you can see for yourself.

check the fans are working, fans are moving parts, so they can die and/or wear out.

if you dont have any way to monitor temp in linux, your bios screen should be able to show it, check out it's idle temp and post back.

James

i have the same problem. mine only does it at night.....between say 2 and 4 in the morning when it was being used the least (if at all and instead was probably in standby). mine is a 2.26 GHz old-school P4. it's a great chip, but i've had this problem for a year or better.

when i check out my temps in the BIOS everything is good. my fan seems to be running well also. there's an appropriate level of the thermal lubricant between the processor and the heatsink. so i'm out of ideas except software problems. i've had the same problem in both fc4 and mandriva. but i rarely keeping it running now. so i'm not sure how it behaves.

jon

I solved this issue by turning off the kernel logger in MCC. I did quite a bit of googling about what kind of problems I would be experiencing if my cpu were actually overheating and my computer is working perfectly fine. It had reached the point where I was getting this error when my computer was idle. I had to mute sounds cause it beeps everytime it pops up. Very, very annoying.

I use ksensors and an AMD 3200 XP so my temps are always in front of me. Necessary because of the regular high ambient temps here in the tropical north. The CPU fan speed is also there. The Temp in yellow is the Mainboard temp.

See attached snapshot.

Have you thought of doing the same ???. It doesn't take much room.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

My laptop is getting older now and what i have is a can of air you can buy at some good hardware stores.

Every 3-6 Months give the vents a good hearty spray and clean out all the crud.

This stops the computer from overheating in either windows or Linux, At least in linux it tells you why.. Windows just crashes or Instant shutdown..

Good for cleaning the dust out of DVD players and other devices around the home..

Seen same problem somewhere else for a toshiba (unsolved yet)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=500830

I solved this issue by turning off the kernel logger in MCC

So you do not log anything?

could you not just comment out something in

/etc/sysconfig/syslog.conf (wherever this file is)

or is this T alert embedded in the kernel?

Maybe just not loading the acpi would have been enough?