Unable to gain access to 2nd HDD

digitalfreedom

Ok HI the problem is this i have 3 HDD's in this computer 1 has windows one has linux the other has files and programs and thats it.i cant access the 3rd from linux mandriva.on the lilo screen its listed there as a bootable option.but from /mnt dir there is nothing there.eh so how do i get to this or add new hardware so i can see it and get things from it. i used to be able to access with mandrake 10 but not now with mandriva.thanx for any and all help my wonderfull new friends

Ok HI the problem is this i have 3 HDD's in this computer 1 has windows one has linux the other has files and programs and thats it.i cant access the 3rd from linux mandriva.on the lilo screen its listed there as a bootable option.but from /mnt dir there is nothing there.eh so how do i get to this or add new hardware so i can see it and get things from it. i used to be able to access with mandrake 10 but not now with mandriva.thanx for any and all help my wonderfull new friends

[beau@localhost etc]$ cd fstab

bash: cd: fstab: Not a directory

[beau@localhost etc]$ cd /fstab

bash: cd: /fstab: No such file or directory

[beau@localhost etc]$ cd fstab

bash: cd: fstab: Not a directory

[beau@localhost etc]$

i dont seem to have it really or am i looking in the wrong place?

ok so i did this

beau@localhost etc]$ whereis fstab

fstab: /etc/fstab.rpmnew /etc/fstab

still dont see it

sweet got it

[beau@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hdd1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdd6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdd5 swap swap defaults 0 0

[beau@localhost ~]$

actually your right now that i think about it.The drive i have mandriva on was installed as a slave drive on the same IDE ribbon as a cd rom thats the primary optical device.and how you got that from fstab info i have no clue.please share with me this knowledge.any way below is the fstab info run as a normal user not as root.and also i found something pertaining to the other HDD's.It says they are block devices.i can find them o nthe system but i cant access the files housed there.and cfdisk give me an unknown command.

beau@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hdd1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdd6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdd5 swap swap defaults 0 0

the info i found on the HDD's

[beau@localhost dev]$ cd disk

[beau@localhost disk]$ ls

by-id/ by-label/ by-path/ by-uuid/

[beau@localhost disk]$ cd by-label

[beau@localhost by-label]$ ls

006@ 007@

Edited by digitalfreedom

OK so the drama continues.This is what heppend to day.I removed all HDD's.I put them back in this order..linux was set to the primary drive windows set to the slave drive and the 3rd was set to a slave drive.I booted the computer and got a kernal panic.So i tried to reinstall mandriva and at first could only login from console as root.So i added a user then logged in running the live cd.So i rebooted and tried to install and after the setup like selecting youre keyboard and country and all that it booted up and my monitor went blank.As in it went to stand by and didnt show me a desktop.So in the end i put the HDD's back in the way i had them and now its working.So Im back at aquare one with the HDD issue.And no one is replying.Kinda like my blog.LOL LOL PLEASE HELP

from the cfdisk i got this..its only showing my 40gig which formerly had windows.now it dont even have that...err somethinghappend

Disk Drive: /dev/hda

Size: 40020664320 bytes, 40.0 GB

Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 4865

Ok Since icant over come my drive issues im going to reinstall XP and Mandriva.(see post unable to access 2nd hard drive) and im wondring how I should go about it.I m thinking this way is going to be the best.remove current mandriva hdd from IDE cable conected to cdrom.Make it slave to the future XP hdd.and attach 3rd drive to the cd rom.Is this good? Or any suggestions would be great because i need to access my back up drive to get to my ebooks and other neato files.Or another option might be (because i hate windows) would be to install linux with my 3rd HDD as slave the linux drive as master.So just gimme some feedback.And where would be the proper place to post a thank you note?

Edited by digitalfreedom

Well ok this is what I did.Removed all HDDs.Set windows drive as primary.Mandriva drive as slave.Reinstalled mandriva.Its up and running.All the drives show up in /dev but i cant access the files on the back up drive.:( but the install went well. here is the fstab info

beau@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

this look better?