Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mtweidmann

MDK 9.1 out?

Recommended Posts

Backups! ha!

 

I'm doing this on the excitement plan!

 

Actually, I have my filesystems partitioned pretty well, and just recently installed mdk9 again... so if I hose it, I havent gotten very far since the last full install, and can redo it pretty quickly.

 

I wish those G*DD*MN mdk9.1 ISOs would get here!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seriously where the hell are the iso's?!?!?!?!?

 

I dunno, but I have the notion that this they'll be shipping packs about the same time or maybe even before the final ISO's hit the servers.

 

I have absolutely no idea where I got this idea, but lets face it it's what they should do. Paying customers and club members first then the sub-humans and free-loaders. Sorry I meant people who aren't members of Mandrake Club :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOOOO HOOOO!

 

I'm running Mandrake 9... not a 9.1 RC.

 

I ran urpmi.update -a --wget and it worked perfectly.

 

Then I ran rpmdrake, selected all packages by update availability and started selecting applications for update. It worked great.

 

I should make a few suggestions for those of you who want to do this to (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!)

 

1. rpmdrake will not install ANYTHING if there is any problem after it downloads. I downloaded over 500mb of rpms, and then it told me that it couldn't install because of some conflict with man pages!!! MAN PAGES!!!! WTF!?!? So I uninstalled the man pages, and 2 hrs later, it was installed. My point is, do it in small chunks. It will take longer, but if there is a problem, you won't waste HOURS of time starting over.

 

2. Remove texstar from you urpmi media list before you do this update. If your main list is a cooker site, you will find all of the same stuff with mdk in the name vs tex in the name of the rpm. The problem is, sometimes texstar rpms are selected for dependencies on mdk rpms, and then when it tries to install the mdk rpm it fails (this was the main cause of #1) After you are sufficiently updated, put texstar back in (I think you can put 'ignore' in the urpmi.cfg entry rather than doing urpmi.removemedia)

 

I am now running KDE 3.1, with the Galaxy look and feel. I am also using Open Office 1.0.2, and Gnucash 1.8.1. Among other things like updated xfree86, qt, gtk and gcc!

 

Yea!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest ndeb
1. rpmdrake will not install ANYTHING if there is any problem after it downloads. I downloaded over 500mb of rpms, and then it told me that it couldn't install because of some conflict with man pages!!! MAN PAGES!!!! WTF!?!? So I uninstalled the man pages, and 2 hrs later, it was installed. My point is, do it in small chunks. It will take longer, but if there is a problem, you won't waste HOURS of time starting over.
There should be a better means of resolving dependencies. I am not sure if this is just a bug of rpmdrake or a problem of the rpm system itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait. Reinstalled 9.0 a had a font problem with OpenOffice (which did not happen before). So I have been less than thrilled with ML9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a problem with rpmdrake cancelling after download, then check /var/lib/urpmi/rpms folder for the downloaded files.. If they are already there the next time you try, it should use them and then delete them (I think :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope... It deletes them.

 

There may be an option somewhere to keep it from happening, or I suppose you could go to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and move them out of there before they are deleted... I was hoping it kept them, but it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the correction /var/cache/urpmi/rpms :) In my case, I avoided the deletion because it was still downloading. Ran out of disk space on my / partition. Once it starts installing its a different story I guess (kinda dumb).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both rpm and urpmi have a --noclean option. I've never tried it with rpm but with urpmi in ML9.0 it has never worked manually but urpmi has done it on its own. I would think this would have been fixed by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Adriano

I have some troubles with urpmi and rpmdrake... Namely, after a light shortage some stuff got corrupted, missing. Among that was the urpmi database... Now when I try to install, say, Armagetron, the system coughs up a list of dependencies that goes down to BASH... which is, of course, installed and running. Anyone here could tell me how to rebuid that database?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to /var/lib/rpm with no rpm proccess running and delete any __db.0x files. Then run

 

rpm --rebuilddb

and

rpm --initdb

 

and try to intall something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...