Can't read DVD [solved]

neddie

Hello Darryl.

A great big welcome to MUB.

A big thank you for your debut post. Very enlightening indeed. I feel we will be hearing more from you in the future :thumbs::thumbs: B) .

Cheers. John.

------------------

Hello,

Thanks, AussieJohn for the welcome.

Something still bothers me about the original problem, and I can't decide if there is an easy way to determine what caused it.

As I recall there are four computers involved - the reader's, his father's, and two others. Additionally, there are multiple OS's involved.

If you still have access to each of the machines, let's try an experiment.

Burn one CD/DVD in each machine, containing files of different types, e.g. .TXT, MP3, .RAW, JPG, that all the computers recognize. Don't use executables, or if you do, don't risk running them.

It is my understanding no Windows OS can read Linux files, so don't use any file having an extension, i.e. filetype, not readable by all the others.

If any one machine can burn only CD's, use them throughout. If any one has only a reader but no burner, still include it in the results.

On each machine, view the directory of each disk and try to view/play/read the files. Keep track of which combinations were successful, and which were not.

Let us know the results, and let's see if we can determine what happened. Identify the OS, type of CD/DVD (reader, reader/burner, but not necessarily the manufacturer or model), and any other pertinent information influencing the results, although I can't think of any at the moment. Oops, spoke too soon - if any capability is known to be broken or disabled, eg. the unit should do everything but the burner doesn't work, include that information as well.

Best wishes,

Darryl

Hello,

I may have unintentionally misled you in my earlier answer. I took RAW to be photo related, but apparently there is another meaning.

The topic "CD Drive won't read some CD's" by oshunluvr, elsewhere on this forum, may influence what you're experiencing.

Best wishes,

Darryl

• 5 months later...

I'm having a similar problem. Last night I installed 2007.1 on my dell inspiron 9100 with a CD reader/writer/DVD/reader/writer. Before I let 2007.1 erase my hd and use it all for linux :) I backed up my data files onto DVD and CD using windows xp. I had the session closed after the burn. My issue is, I put the CD in and linux reads it fine. I put the DVD in and I get some of the folders, but instead of letters for the labels, I get boxes [ ]. This is strange. So now, in the mean time I will be transferring the files I need at work under windows xp from the dvd to a thumb drive. Anyone have a similar issue?

Thanks!

David.

bassplayer,

may I assume that you are not using an english windows version?

(and welcome, by the way)

I used a US Version of Windows XP SP2. I also used the MCC and let the system get and install all the latest updates from Mandriva that were released since 2007.1 was released.

On a side note, I'm surprised how painless my SMC2632W wireless card was installed and configured. All I had to do was enter the wep encryption and I was connected to the internet.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Might be related to the way your disks are burned under windows.

CD's are regularly burned with Joliet and Rockridge extensions- the former for long file and unicode name support under windows, and the latter under unix. Anyway, modern Linux distros do not strictly need the rockridge extensions anymore to read the CD contents, Joliet is enough.

Data DVD's also have as default Joliet extensions and an ISO9660 filesystem- you shouldn't have trouble with them either.

Video DVD's are different, as they usually have only UDF 1.02 filesystem, and are read in a different way.

Checkout if you have the packages "libdvdread", "libdvdnav" and "libdvdcss" installed. They aren't installed by default, and can be found at the Penguin Liberation Front (PLF) repositories.

That fixed it. Thank you!

Let me correct that. That fixed it for that DVD only. I put in another DVD created by the same machine/dvd player/software and under Mandriva, it can't read it. The solution only worked for that first DVD I tried. This is crazy...

Would you mind copypasting here the contents of your /etc/fstab file at the first place?

There "might" be something there which makes life difficult for you...

No problem:

/etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I appreciate your help! :)