azureus not starting [solved]

hellfried

i downloaded the azureus from http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ and extracted the folder to my /home. however when i try to open the program i get nothing. when i type './azureus' in konsole i get the following message:

[hellfried@localhost azureus]$ ./azureus

Starting Azureus...

Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...

Suitable java version found [java = 1.4.2]

Configuring environment...

Loading Azureus:

java -Xms16m -Xmx128m -cp "/home/hellfried/azureus/Azureus2.jar:/home/hellfried/azureus/swt.jar" -Djava.library.path="/home/hellfried/azureus" -Dazureus.install.path="/home/hellfried/azureus" org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main ''

./azureus: line 112: 5689 Segmentation fault ${JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR}java -Xms16m -Xmx128m -cp "${CLASSPATH}" -Djava.library.path="${PROGRAM_DIR}" -Dazureus.install.path="${PROGRAM_DIR}" org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main "$@"

Azureus TERMINATED.

what is going on?

You might want a newer version of Java. The sun java version 1.5.x

installed the latest version of java 1.5.0.09 and created a link in to it in the firefox plugin directory. now when i open websites with java, firefox shuts down. after i remove the link everything is back to normal! aaargh!

Have you followed the instructions to get swt and the how-to?

according to the instructions:

To get Azureus to start on linux you need to download SWT.

Make sure you choose the right version, GTK or Motif (cf. PS).

Extract the contents of the zip file somewhere, then move all .jar files and .so files to the same directory as Azureus.jar.

Then run it with the following command line:

java -cp swt.jar:Azureus2.jar -Djava.library.path=. org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main

If you extracted SWT to another directory, change the paths in the command line accordingly.

If you would rather use .tar.gz2, it's this way : Azureus for Linux.

PS: are you experiencing GUI freezes? If you are running Azureus from eclipse, try without it. If not, try with SWT-Motif instead of GTK.

i have extracted the swt folder onto my desktop. what paths do i have to key in the command line? in my previous installation of mandriva 2007 on the same pc, i never had to do any of these steps. why now?

Edited by hellfried

That must be a really old howto. You don't need to download swt anymore.

Look into the azureus folder you unpacked. Open the azureus script with a text editor. In the beginning of the file you can see this:

#!/bin/bash

######## CONFIGURATION OPTIONS ########
JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="/usr/java/bin/"				# use full path to java bin dir, ex. "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/"

Modify the JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR path to your needs. Azureus now should start.

How did you get it working? All I did was urpmi azureus and I get a segmentation fault. I have sun java, but it doesn't seem necessary for azureus to run. I have tried un-installing and re-installing it and keep getting segmentation fault at /usr/share/java-utils/java-functions: line 116

How did you get it working? All I did was urpmi azureus and I get a segmentation fault. I have sun java, but it doesn't seem necessary for azureus to run. I have tried un-installing and re-installing it and keep getting segmentation fault at /usr/share/java-utils/java-functions: line 116

I get the same thing. I've tried so many things:

* Sun Java, No sun Java

* playing with enviornment variables.

* playing with `update-alternatives --config java`

* Things I've probably forgotten. ;-)

I'm at a loss...

I'm glad someone else is getting this problem, I thought it was just my system. It seems like since I upgraded to mandriva 2007, azureus won't run. I have tried old versions of azureus as well and nothing will help. I have googled this problem and found not help either (just some web page in italian or something saying he has the same problem). I haven't found anything yet to get around this segmentation fault.