What Red Hat thinks about Novell/Microsoft

ianw1974

A few links I've found from my Red Hat newsletter:

Wake up little SUSE, Wake up. No, that's not good enough. Wake up SUSE customers, wake up. Novell is jeopardizing the future of Linux for its own short-term rewards. If you want to see Linux flourish, let alone survive after Novell's five year deal with Microsoft expires, I suggest we make an alternative five year deal with Microsoft. In this case, our part of the deal is to spend the next five minutes, months, or years migrating away from every shred of Novell/SUSE software in our home, office, or enterprise.

Can read on more here: http://www.redhat.com/truthhappens/

Full article here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

And there's more:

http://www.redhat.com/promo/believe/

http://www.redhat.com/promo/unfakeable/

Yeah, it's time for users to put their money where there mouths are... so to speak. It's all good and well objecting to this deal, but how many SuSe users have switched distros or made Novell aware of your feelings?

This is a dangerous deal. Microsoft's long term goal is to control Linux by making Novell the only distributor left standing. Their success in doing so relies on our actions now.

Well, I have seen several Linux users at fedoraforum switching from SUSE to fedora. I guess there are also a lot of people who switch from SUSE to Ubuntu (or yet another distro). But there will be a core of die-hard users that will use Novell and SUSE, no matter what deal Novell will make. The Novell/MS deal will surely hurt SUSE and Novell with respect to their userbase but not as much as some people expect imho.

For me, SUSE was a no-no already before they became a part of Novell. But that is another story.

Guest roseway

It was pretty clear at the outset that this deal was a poke in the eye for RedHat, so it's no surprise that they are responding in this way. It remains to be seen just where the deal will take Linux in its wider context, but some of the responses seem to be rather hysterical.

That being said, it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable, and it's encouraged me to migrate here after using SuSE for the last 5 years. Reading the SuSE forums, I rather think that a lot of others have felt the same.

Eric

Hmmm, not yer typical rant, not irrational anough, not enough drama! :D

Joking aside, some really interesting points from that livejournal article, I was naver a big fan of Suse in the first place though.

True bit IBM is in a rather different position....

it owns enough patents that Microsoft is infringing (at least to a point of contention) as a security policy.

Well, I have seen several Linux users at fedoraforum switching from SUSE to fedora. I guess there are also a lot of people who switch from SUSE to Ubuntu (or yet another distro). But there will be a core of die-hard users that will use Novell and SUSE, no matter what deal Novell will make. The Novell/MS deal will surely hurt SUSE and Novell with respect to their userbase but not as much as some people expect imho.

For me, SUSE was a no-no already before they became a part of Novell. But that is another story.

I can sign that. Alot of ex-Suse users have entered the Ubuntuforums at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

me <- WebSphere Admin

WebSphere runs on Suse, along with 5-6 other platforms,

The point is IBM is a WHORE. I talk with them about daily :)

There are some cool folks there, just the same as Novell. There ^ up folks are dumb as dirt.....