Anti-aliased fonts: blurry crap?

Guest joehill

Guest joehill

I recently turned off AA in my xftconfig for the small fonts, so my UI is totally non-anti-aliased (?). I have had a couple of people who saw screenshots of my desktop "why the heck would you not use AA?!"

I found after using Mozilla with the AA enabled for about a month that my eyes would start getting really strained. When I started to really look at the font rendering, it just looks blurry.

Anyway, how many others have had this experience?

I really feel that this current implementation is just a hack to make Linux look like Mac/XP font rendering, which I think any objective observer can see quite plainly.

No?

I'll try to grab some screens to show examples.

okay here ya go windows

and mac

here's mine

:D

Guest joehill

well, the win and mac screens are not mine. I only meant to provide examples.

here's a shot of my mozilla using xft (still enabled, despite my xftconfig, LOL)

I am running MDK 9.0 with all the latest xft doodads from texstar, i just got sick of it. I am just curious how other people feel about this antialias stuff.

[EDIT] Just saw the moz shot, and that's exactly what I mean...they're all bold and big. Try to make them normal and the look horrible.....I wouldn't be able to look at bold fonts all time and nothing but bold fonts. It'd drive me nuts!

I can't rightly judge the 3 shots right now as I'm at work (lunch) on Win95 (old puter). I only breifly tried moz with AA and I thought it looked horrible. I didn't bother with the tweaks for moz....couldn't have helped that much and besides, I haven't see a moz screenshot from a mdk box that looked half decent yet. I've seen some good fonts in moz on a RH box though. We use mac osx at work (graphics, printing, bindery) and none of them have fuzzy fonts like in the shot you posted. If you look really close you can see a little fuz but they're absolutely beautiful. Especially when compared to linux AA. The best I personally have accomplished (browser) with mdk is with Opera-6.11 and 6.12 which isn't much of a choice for a gnomer.

I found after using Mozilla with the AA enabled for about a month that my eyes would start getting really strained. When I started to really look at the font rendering, it just looks blurry.

Anyway, how many others have had this experience?

These are the settings I use in MDK 9.0:

/etc/X11/XftConfig

match any size > 7 any size < 15 edit antialias = false;

match any pixelsize < 17 any pixelsize > 7 edit antialias = false;

match any weight == bold edit antialias = true;

match any slant == italic edit antialias = true;

Guest JaseP

I don't disagree with you on the anti-aliasing. I don't think the current Linux implementation is up to snuff. I think is fuzzies it out too much. Also, the anti-aliasing can cause problems with some apps or games.

I personally think the fonts are clearer without it.

What fonts do you use for your mozilla? I don't remember having all bold fonts when I was still using Texstar's Xft enabled mozilla. Then again, I changed the fonts from helvetica to nimbus variant.. They looked ok back then, no bolding and such.

Guest joehill

same here, except I turn off AA for the bold and italics as well. the italics are not as pretty, but at least they're not blurry :)

i probably got those settings from the same thread on this board as you...