mplayer gui - outdated?

hellfried

i am using mandriva 2007. after getting sources using easyurpmi, i installed mplayer. but when i install mplayer gui, it asks for cd3. however when i try to play embedded video on the web in firefox 2.0 i am asked to install plugin again. i suspect something wrong with mplayer gui because during a previous installation of mandriva web video was working fine until i installed mpalyer gui using cd3. perhaps the version on the cd is incompatible?

if that is so how do i uninstall mplayer gui? is there a newer version out there?

Add your easyurpmi sources using the link at the top of this page for main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree. Then just do:

urpmi --auto-select

from the command prompt to apply all available updates to your system. You'll have to press "y" to continue to install all updates.

ok this is frustrating. despite adding the sources and NOT installing mplayer gui, i still can't get mplayer plugin to work in firefox 2.0. i just get the broken icon asking me to install plugin. i have already installed mplayerplugin.

update:

i just found out that the mplayer plugin actually works in firefox 1.5.0.8 but not in version 2.0. any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hellfried

Guest Nanda Sunu
Well, not sure if it's help. Plug-ins for 1.5 won't work in 2.0. And many of the favorites for 1.5 haven't been rebuilt for 2.0 yet.

If you are running FF 2.0 from the extracted tar, you can get your plugins working by sym linking to the FF 1.5 plugins folder. something like this should work (just check that the paths are correct on your machine):

you should back up your FF 2.0 plugins folder beforehand by renaming it.

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /home/YOURUSERNAME/firefox/plugins