Suspend to RAM doesn't work with Mandriva 2007

Guest sbtourist

Guest sbtourist

Hi guys,

I switched from Suse 10 to Mandriva 2007: everything seems to wotk but the Suspend to RAM feature.

It previously worked well with Suse 10, but now it goes to suspend and doesn't resume: the screen remains blank, the keyboard is freezed and I have to shutdown.

I have a Sony Vaio FS315M with NVidia graphic card.

I installed KPowersave, followed the NVidia suspend howto (http://en.opensuse.org/NVidia_Suspend_HOWTO) and searched other posts, but I can't get it to work.

I hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Sergio B.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sandburger

Hi Sergio,

I finally got my setup to work with Suspend to Disk, but there's still a problem with Suspend to RAM. I still end up with a frozen desktop, but at least now I can see the desktop and I don't get just a black screen. It's that much closer to working, but the pretty desktop still doesn't respond to either the keyboard or the mouse.

I had seen the How-To that you mentioned, but I had to add "nvidia-agp" to /etc/modprobe.preload and comment out the original module. In my case that was amd64_agp. I went ahead and "blacklisted" it in modprobe.conf, trying to follow the lead of the How-To, but I don't know if that was necessary.

Once I got modprobe.preload to load nvidia-agp rather than the original, I could suddenly suspend to disk and resume successfully. Perhaps you've already done that and there's some other reason your screen is blank after resuming from RAM.

What do you get from "cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status"?

Now I get:

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver: NVIDIA

AGP Rate: 8x

Fast Writes: Disabled

SBA: Enabled

By the way, I'm using Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack and the NVIDIA 1.0-9629 drivers with an GeForce 7800GS AGP card. I'm also using KPowersave.

Hope something in here helps you!

Sandburger

Update: Well, I spoke too soon. I can resume from disk if I do so right away, but after leaving it suspended overnight it resumed only to a black screen with an active mouse but nothing to click on. At least at that point I can kill the X server and log in again, but I might as well shutdown completely rather than suspend. I've got some more work to do!

Edited by Sandburger

I had a problem with my screen staying black - I had to add a kernel option (acpi_sleep=s3_bios) in /etc/lilo.conf, now the relevant section looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="resume=/dev/hda8 acpi_sleep=s3_bios splash=silent"
	vga=788

Remember that after modifying lilo.conf you have to run the command

lilo

to get the bootloader to be placed in the bootsector.

Let us know if this helps.

• 5 months later...

If you're modifying things such as X configuration, then no, a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to log out of X and restart X is enough. If you modified the boot loader configuration for modifying parameters for ACPI then yes you would need to reboot and it's completely normal.