Kubuntu

I'm probably going to give Kubuntu a try since I've read so many problems with 2007 and 2006 is a disaster for me. Can anybody give me some input as to what Kubuntu is like? I'm going with Kubuntu cause I like KDE. I know you can install it with Ubuntu but I like that fact that it's KDE oriented.

hi there,

i installed kubuntu. the install is really easy. pretty much just pop it in and it goes. (i've got it on a laptop and all the power control options seem to work for my pentium m.) it detected all of my hardware well and has a lot of good software already included in teh installation. i've not needed anything that i couldn't get through using apt-get.

if you like a text-boot, you'll have to figure that out. let me know what you discover. but so far it's been seamless for me as far as the install. kde is a pretty new version and then by immediately updating and upgrading the install, it got a little more updated for me.

if i'd known about fluxbuntu i probably would've installed it instead of kubuntu. but i'm a kde fan as opposed to gnome and didn't know anything about xfce. so kubuntu was my choice. i'm pretty happy with it. i could browse the web wirelessly while it was installing, btw.

while i'm sure a ton of people on here can answer these questions better than me, if you need anything, let me know. i'll be glad to help.

I'm probably going to give Kubuntu a try since I've read so many problems with 2007 and 2006 is a disaster for me. Can anybody give me some input as to what Kubuntu is like? I'm going with Kubuntu cause I like KDE. I know you can install it with Ubuntu but I like that fact that it's KDE oriented.

Its a mixed bag....IMHO

Install is a doddle (but you did LFS so that is hardly important for U)

Overall I liked it except the sudo thing.... and you really should look into it before you install...

The forums tell you its OK you can activate the root pw (if you want) but its a bit more deeply embedded than that.

I started with a reasonably early kubuntu and it got progressively worse i this respect ...

its just embedded so deep you can't just switch it off because the packages are modified for it...the n the deps of those packages etc. (even though they might not have used it)....

Think about it like removing YaST from Suse...

This was my biggest gripe.... (along with the fact that discussion on this issue is kinda not exactly banned but if someone insults you for wanting a root password the mods won't help) basically they can call you ignorant, stupid etc., if you question the sudo policy and everyone will jump in...

The other thing is it did weird stuff.... my resolv.conf was never updated properly and kept resetting... I ended up changing permissions to 200 so root could no longer overwrite it! I prefer my distro's to do what I say and not decide I meant something else when I edit the config file by hand ....

If ur OK with all this then its actually pretty cool....

It was really the one sticking point for me... basically every prob I had revolved around root or sudo ... and its just frustrating for me in the end....

I tried Kubuntu, and over all, it very nice except as Gowater said the sudo thing bugged me. But I took it off and installed Mandriva instead because CUPS and Samba don't work. I spent days trying to share my printer with my wife's notebook, and never did get it to work. With Mandriva, it took less than 15 minutes to get my Brother MFC printer online and shared with WinXP.

Other than booting problems caused by the "resume=" option, I really haven't had any problems with 2007. So like always, it depends on what your going to do with it.

Oh, I wasn't able to get my WinTv PVR150 card to work with Kubuntu. Haven't tried yet with 2007.

Edited by kephra

I have it installed but installed it after having Ubuntu installed. "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"

Vamp the install will be a breeze for you since you have done a couple of Gentoo installs. Just get the live cd and throw it in and click on the install icon on the desktop. (The way it was with Ubuntu)

The sudo thing is being blown way out of proportion. If you want to use "su" instead its not hard to add su. You already know the commands Vamp.

If you want to add things for media and the likes look at 'automatix'. Pretty much click and go. http://www.getautomatix.com/

Never, as far as I know have any trouble with my conf. files, but I don't dive that deep into linux. I just fire it up and surf the net, email and simple things like that. As long as it is working I don't mess with it.

Part of me thinks you'll like it, but then another part of me thinks you won't. It will probably be boring and too easy for you. :lol2:

if you're a gentoo fan...then yeah it'll be too easy. it's a little bit easy for anybody other moderate newbs...but that's nice. that's what linux needs in a lot of respects. stuff to work when it's installed (with obvious exceptions for individuals and their configurations or desires) with an easy installer.

that said, i like control but don't always have time to do it. i like that linux still allows for that.

Thanks for all the input. I probably won't mess with it until this semester is out which will be in about three weeks but I wanted to get a head start with some info. As far as it being too easy I want something easy on the lappy. I only use it for school so I don't want to have to mess with it. And I got Gentoo on the desktop so it's all good.

Thanks again! I'll probably be back with questions once I get it installed. I'll have to check out this sudo thing myself.

mysti

If you need any help when the time comes I put myself to your disposal. Though I'm a ubuntu guy and not kubuntu I do know my way around (as long it doesn't have someting to do with wireless).

The sudo thing is being blown way out of proportion. If you want to use "su" instead its not hard to add su. You already know the commands Vamp.

This is the point .. you can add sudo, you can add a root password etc but you can't remove the hacks they did and the sudo policy is inherent to the packages....

Just adding a root password doesn't help because the modifications are so deep....because its integrated into the -Ubuntu packages....

You can't remove it... basically you can bypass it and that still leaves you with a root kit on your PC...

you can do lots to secure it but your basically just hacking it back to Debian.... at some point some poackage modified my sudoers to ALL:ALL.....

this is not surprising ... the devs in Ubuntu just don't acknowledge security ...

Ubuntu contributed a package back to Debian last week and people are already upset... no-one wants Ubuntu stuff finding its way into Debian because its insecure by nature. I think this has confused many ubuntuers....

Shuttleworth gave a whole speech on the importance of Debian ... Im sure he means it .. but this is just unacceptable... (translate my sig) in the same way that say if parents chose not to let thier children eat candy and drink carbonated soda its unacceptable to give the kids them...

Parents who do allow their kids candy just don't get it... its a kind of self denial that they are not hurting their kids... by giving candy... medical evidence is strongly in favor of it does hurt and diabetes is the number one rising killer .. you can stick your head in the sand or you can say your not denying your kids pleasure... but the problem is not acknowledging it does damage.

So no-one is right or wrong about if kids should have candy.... that's a choice for each parent at least IMHO there is no right and no wrong... but to say "candy doesn't hurt kids" is wrong... its scientifically proven ...

The bottom line is linux is not designed to run as a single user system. ... Ubuntu copied apple and Linspire in thinking the most intimidating part of Linux /BSD is having a root account...

Linspire did it one way, Apple another and Ubuntu a third....

but the bottom line is niether linspire or ubuntu can ever be secure because of the attitude of the dev team that the single most important thing about the distro is NOT having a root password to type...

This is the single non negotiable item .. its more important than security so everytime they have to choose between insecure and not having to type a password insecure wins by default....but in the end it comes down to if you don't acknowledge the problem then it can't be addressed...

vamp, what wireless chip do you have in your laptop. I've got a Intel Pro 2200 B/G and it worked out of the box.......... after I setup the wep key or course.

I have a Broadcom and it's not supported currently so I have to use ndiswrapper and that didn't work with Mandriva. I'll see if I have any better luck with kubuntu.