Software Management: no packages to install

scsever

I have Mandriva 2007 installed and used easyurpmi to setup main, contrib, plf-free and plf-nonfree. I usually use urpmi to install packages and that works fine. The problem is when I don't exactly know what package I am looking for and want to use the Software Management tool to browse through non installed, there is nothing there. I don't have everything installed so I don't know why nothing shows, and if I select to view all then everything shows as installed, again I don't have everyting installed. I have done a simple test of browsing for a package that I know I don't have by name or description, not find it, but then go and install it using urpmi. Any idea why the management tool would not be finding packages that urpmi is able to install?

Thanks,

This is a problem and has been covered in many posts on this board already, did you use the search feature before you posted? Which, I don't think you did search.

Use smart or wait for the updates for the gui package manager to be released. Or, you can also install the old rpm gui tools:

urpmi old_rpmdrake

or alternatively, from the command line you can search with this:

urpmf --name ntp

for example will find all packages with ntp in their name. Or you can do this:

urpmf --description ntp

will find all packages with ntp in their description. This is good if you're not sure what the package name is and are requiring trying to find something within a package.

No packages to install might have ;)

But yeah, sometimes the search doesn't work too well. A good one in google is to do this:

no packages to install site:mandrivausers.org

and it'll search this site giving better results. Neat eh :P