Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

dexter11

The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation. LinuxBIOS celebrates its Sixth anniversary this year, and has an installed base of over 1 million LinuxBIOS systems. With the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project, that number is expected to exceed 10 million users in 2007. LinuxBIOS supports 65 mainboards from 31 vendors in v1 and another 56 mainboards from 27 vendors in v2.

There's always been one main obstacle for our project though: unlike other free software, LinuxBIOS can easily make your hardware a paperweight if you encounter a bug (unless you happen to have a spare flash chip...). Thanks to Google's sponsorship, we've been able to significantly improve the project's Quality Assurance process by creating a completely automated and distributed testing environment. Every single commit results in BIOS images being built for all mainboards, and tested on real hardware located all over the world. So whenever you want to download a LinuxBIOS image, you can now know that it works on a reference machine before flashing it to your system.

More about this here

source : hup.hu

I'm wondering what benefits it would have to me other than the speed gains and what not.

I'm actually not tempted to do it, considering how much stuff I have to check before I know if it'll work or not. Don't fancy a stuffed mobo trying it.

I don't care how it's called if it sticks to it's principles. Already an estimated 1 million computers are using it. There will be much more because the 100$ laptop is using it.

Yeah love to get hold of one of those.... I'm sure there will be millions for sale on the black market as soon as they are given out.

Gee - thanks a laptop can I eat it? does it make clean water?

Im betting they will be on sale for half the $100 pretty soon after they are distributed.

I don't care how it's called if it sticks to it's principles. Already an estimated 1 million computers are using it. There will be much more because the 100$ laptop is using it.

Yeah love to get hold of one of those.... I'm sure there will be millions for sale on the black market as soon as they are given out.

Gee - thanks a laptop can I eat it? does it make clean water?

Im betting they will be on sale for half the $100 pretty soon after they are distributed.

LOL. My thoughts exactly.