Feedback about kde-3.5.5 MDE rpms

mmodem

Well I would like to say that I think the kde 3.5.5 rpms are excellent. I think you have done a great job and have noticed updates fairly regularly. I like that I can just start urpmi and come back with my system updated rather than going through the work to compile it myself. I also really like your theme, after upgrading to mandriva 2007, I was waiting for that theme once again. If I come up with any suggestions I will leave them on the board. Thanks!!!

Sorry, but I cannot contribute anything as I use Gnome and never saw any need to install the MDE rpms in my case. I am sure more people will check the thread in the next couple of days and that some of those might be able to give you some good feedback.

Sorry, but I cannot contribute anything as I use Gnome and never saw any need to install the MDE rpms in my case. I am sure more people will check the thread in the next couple of days and that some of those might be able to give you some good feedback.

Well, did you know that MDE is not just kde?

Yes for example for 2006 we have build many fixes and updates starting in xorg, qt3, hal, dbus, avahi, freetype, glib2, icecream, iptables, drakx tools, amarok, kvirc, esvn, etc, etc, and now for 2007 we have done qt3, desktop rpms, gimp, esvn, amsn, kvirc, ndiwrapper, webmin (that suports squid >= 2.5), squid, balgrind, unsermake, smb4k, , flashplayer-9, etc, so as you see there are plenty from where to upgrade :)

have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akarako

Hi ,

I am using MDE RPMS for KDE a couple of years now and i must say that there haven't been any major problems,you guys are making a great job for all of us.Now i have installed Mandriva 2007 and KDE 3.5.5 and i would like to report some small issues i have encountered.The first one is that i have installed kde-icons-noia-1.00-1plf and after that the K Menu has become a question mark.I found out that if a rename /usr/share/icons/noia/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png to /usr/share/icons/noia/32x32/apps/menuk-mde.png the KMenu appears OK.The second and last thing is that if i connect to a windowsXP box via SMB:// with konqueror i can not see Greek File names(that is ok, the default charset encoding is UTF8 and the locale of the linux box is Greek iso-8859-7).The problem is that if i go to TOOLS->SELECT REMOTE CHARSET and choose Greek iso-8859-7 (or anything else - does not matter) konqueror hangs out and i have to kill it.

Hi ,

I am using MDE RPMS for KDE a couple of years now and i must say that there haven't been any major problems,you guys are making a great job for all of us.Now i have installed Mandriva 2007 and KDE 3.5.5 and i would like to report some small issues i have encountered.The first one is that i have installed kde-icons-noia-1.00-1plf and after that the K Menu has become a question mark.I found out that if a rename /usr/share/icons/noia/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png to /usr/share/icons/noia/32x32/apps/menuk-mde.png the KMenu appears OK.

Thats why mde-kde-icons is requires in kde install.

Instead renaming a mandriva icon you can simply copy the mde icons to the specified icon theme, i.e.:

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalxp/16x16/apps/menuk-mde.png /usr/share/icons/noia/16x16/apps/

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalxp/22x22/apps/menuk-mde.png /usr/share/icons/noia/22x22/apps/

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalxp/32x32/apps/menuk-mde.png /usr/share/icons/noia/32x32/apps/

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalxp/48x48/apps/menuk-mde.png /usr/share/icons/noia/48x48/apps/

cp /usr/share/icons/crystalxp/64x64/apps/menuk-mde.png /usr/share/icons/noia/64x64/apps/

The second and last thing is that if i connect to a windowsXP box via SMB:// with konqueror i can not see Greek File names(that is ok, the default charset encoding is UTF8 and the locale of the linux box is Greek iso-8859-7).The problem is that if i go to TOOLS->SELECT REMOTE CHARSET and choose Greek iso-8859-7 (or anything else - does not matter) konqueror hangs out and i have to kill it.

This is a specific kde problem, kde haves severall bugs samba related, i have already reported 3 so far about kcmsamba...

Edited by mmodem