ipod nano and Mandriva

Ixthusdan

I am building a computer for a client whom I have talked into double booting (it's a start). But, his daughter has a new ipod nano, and he wants her to do everything from Linux since it is safer than windows. Currently, his computer is full of assorted anti spy and anti virus, and still he has issues. The reason is his daughter exchanges music on the net and those places are notorious for kiddie garbage (virus crap). Anyone here working with this and can direct me to the setup?

There are a couple of applications that can be used to sync the Nano. GTKPod and Banshee seem to be the two best, but I personally prefer Banshee.

You can use either the vfat file-system that Windows' iPods have, or the Mac HFS+ system, but with HFS you need to compile support into the kernel (unless it is there already). Given that your client used Windows, it would already be a vfat.

The iPod works like any usb storage device, but to sync music for playback on the iPod you need to be able to manipulate the iTunes database, and this is where you need something like Banshee.

I have a Nano, 4th generation (1 generation "before" the new, 5-colored ones)... Amarok works good for me. Banshee works too, but it does not have as many features as Amarok.

I do think you'd do wise to backup her music collection somewhere though. You never know and it's a good idea in any case.

Edited by Darkelve

My kids have a i-pod nano, with Amarok i screwed the database from my daughters i-pod.

After restoring the database she's using GtkPod and that works perfectly.

The only thing is the i-pod mounts in /mnt/ipod_ ir and GtkPod say's /mnt/ipod. So i correct that, all she do is plugin the ipod start GtkPod read the database, finds the songs and sync.

Thanks, everyone. This is exactly the info I needed. I have assured him that I can get everything working in Linux. I knew I was not a liar! :P

I am building an AMD 64X2 machine with sata and the new wireless n standard. (Wish it were mine!)