Partitions & sizes under M9.0

Killer_Byte

i am a new user to lnux and it world, i have used red hat briefly and now am about to install mandrake for my self.

i am currently reading through the documentation as suggsted. i wish to do an expert install as you have more control over what goes on. however i am uncertain about some of the partitioning options. i know they are very important ot the running of linux.

i was going to set up as follows: -

root/ 512MB

swap/ 512MB

user/ 9GB

home/ remaining space on hard drive

var/

is this all correct, would you make any changes to this or suggest a better way of working :?:

Hey Killer_byte, don't know why but someone is looking for you here -->

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ight=killerbyte

Other than that... since it is your first linux install ever I would go with 1 partition for everything. Anyway you'll make mistakes and will want to start again from scratch so I personally believe that 1 partion ok..

my 2 cents.

HTH

MOttS

I suggest you start into the install and allow Mandrake to set the size of the partitions. Before you go on, you can evaluate and resize them, if you want, before you continue with the install. It is a good way to learn.

I usually give /home a large space, because I use it to store my add-on files. When I upgrade/install a new disribution, I don't reformat /home, so that all those files and special settings are safe.

That looks quite adequate to me if this is a single user machine.  If I was going to suggest a change, I would add a 1 or 2 Gb /var partition to prevent out-of-control log files from over writing root.

Counterspy

Yes this is definately a good idea!

Mandrake 9.0 was the first time I really chose my partitions om my own.

I have a 3GB root-partition that also contains "/var", but I don't see the use of that size, because at the moment only 300MB is occupied. I'm thinking of making "var" 1 GB(although it is probably to big) and "root" 500MB the next time. I'm thinking making "/tmp" 100MB smaller: from 300Mb to 200 MB(if thatisn't to big also). I think the space would be better used for "/usr" or "/media" nect time. By tha way, does anybody now a good filesystem for media. I'm going to make everuthing reiserfs nect time(maybe considering root ext3). Although the diiferences are maybe small, but how is "XFS"->think is silliconvalley-format??.

thanx for all the info on partition sizes,

got drake up and running on slave drive in my pc without even a glitch. can believe how easy things went. it seems 2 have done all that i wanted, just gota sit down and spend couple on hundred of hours to figure out how all works.

aint that the fun bit. :D

will prolly post more new questions soon. i know i will need help with prolly most stuff.