How do I install software programs ?

bigbluec

I have Mandriva 2007 free on my hard drive, I downloaded some programs from the internet ...eg Google Earth for linux....how do I install this program ?

Also how do I get codecs for Totem movie player ? I want to watch some video clips of mine but it says it can not play the file because I do not have the codecs for Media player 9 video clips.

Also another stupid question, how do i make a short cut of a file to my desktop ?

Under "Home" I have a file called Documents, I want a short cut to be on my desktop.

Thanks

1. If it is an RPM file, simply double click on it. If it's a tar.gz package, unpack it with a right-click->unpack. If it is a .bin file, then open a terminal and run the file:

./<filename>.bin

There should be a readme-file/instructions on the google-earth site or within the file.

2. Read this: http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva#How_to...ltimedia_Codecs It might be that some very new videos don't work as there is not a decoder available yet for every new, proprietary video format, but 95% of all files should be displayed.

3. I guess you run KDE. In that case (if I remember correctly) right click on the desktop, make a link, then select the type of link you want to create (to document, folder, webpage, application). Point the link to the right application/place and give the link a name and you are done.

PS: Some of these questions have been answered before. Please use the search tool for finding answers in the forum. It's generally faster than waiting for a reply. ;)

I have Mandriva 2007 free on my hard drive, I downloaded some programs from the internet ...eg Google Earth for linux....how do I install this program ?

Also how do I get codecs for Totem movie player ? I want to watch some video clips of mine but it says it can not play the file because I do not have the codecs for Media player 9 video clips.

Also another stupid question, how do i make a short cut of a file to my desktop ?

Under "Home" I have a file called Documents, I want a short cut to be on my desktop.

Thanks

Hello,

For Google Earth and codecs, the best way might be install them from PLF repositories, with rpmdrake or urpmi. You need to add plf repository to your software media first, e.g. easy urpmi:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

After you have the plf in your software media, you can install them from Mandriva Control Center, or using urpmi.

Google Earth is in plf? Wow, didn't know that! I just got mine from earth.google.com and then as arctic said just ran the .bin file.

Instructions are on the website. Certainly the plf way would be easier, but might not have picked up the November changes.

As a general rule, getting the rpm from urpmi is usually by far the best way to install new software, for anything that's not in there there's almost certainly some kind of install instructions wherever you downloaded the file from.