is it worth it?

luke9511

ok after been trying to update alsa and getting my sound card to work and everything and someone said that my version of mandriva is (which is version 10.1) a security risk and that i should upgrade, now first i want to know,is that true? and is there any reasons why i should, cause i kinda dont want too, so please give me some advice.

If it is working, there is no reason to "upgrade," ever. I know of no "security" concern.

Now, new hardware might be reason for an upgrade.

hey luke,

i might give you some bad advice (as others see here). take it for what it's worth. but also let me ask a few questions.

1. how are you using this computer with this linux install?

2. are you serving anything?

3. are you behind a router or any kind of other firewalling?

if this is a toy install (older machine) for novelty purposes then don't sweat it. if you're using it for a webserver, ssh server, or anything else then you need to consider security anyway. the older releases of mandrake/mandriva no longer receive updates and will consequently require a lot of work to get up to snuff esp. as far as security goes. if this is just a home computer and if you're already behind some kind of firewall or if you connect to the internet via a router, then you're probably already safe enough.

all in all then my answer summarizes to "if you're putting stuff out on the web and making your server where someone could hack it....it'll probably happen. since you can't get anything update automatically, it could be lots of work to bring your omputer iwht a 3 year old OS up to speeed. if you're at home surfing the web, don't sweat it."

with all of that said, newer versions are so much better at supporting most hardware. your alsa difficulties might have been solved with a newer distro anyways. regardless, you know how to fix it now.

good luck,

jon

yes im behind a router and i use this to learn, i guess having my sound not working is kind of a good thing for me since, with the help of the people of this forum, i might be able to get it to work and in the process learn more about linux, cause thats what i want to do is learn, im in college right now at ITT Tech and am in the game design course and im pretty sure that i dont get a linux class of any kind, even know as much as i would like too, so this way and the net is the only way for me to learn linux in my spare time and i dont host servers on linux and thank you and anyone else who may reply for your advice and comments and i would like to hear more for people on this subject so that it can give me ideas and such.

As it is a learning-machine, stick to 10.1 if it works and play around with it. Break it, rebuild it, break it again, rebuild it again. The best way to learn about Linux. ;)

Security won't be a problem at all. I know an old server that still runs on RH 9, which ain't supported, too, but runs like a swiss clock, as the admin has placed an extra firewall in front of the server. No need to be paranoid.

I agree with everyone so far....

Don't sweat it... IMHO frankly your not missing much ... and 2007 has far more security issues than an up to date (at last check) 10.1 ...though I might think of upgrading to 10.2 (at least the packages) if you worry about security.

Better an old stable version where the issues arte already addressed than a new buggy one. Particualrly with mandriva I don't see the development as incremental... anyway.

In other words what was fixed in 9.x wasn't in 10.x and so on... they introduce new issues each release and then iron them out over the release hence why getting the 10.2 packages might be worth it...

i second gowator. the best success i had with the mandrakes/mandrivas were 10.1 and 10.2 (including community editions). 2006 was almost freakishly unstable for me (i'm clueless as to why when some people have the utmost success with it).

i second gowator. the best success i had with the mandrakes/mandrivas were 10.1 and 10.2 (including community editions). 2006 was almost freakishly unstable for me (i'm clueless as to why when some people have the utmost success with it).

Its their dev cycle....

They do it like a noobie steering a oil tanker....

X stops working so they competely go mad fixing it and end up breaking Y.... so each release seems to go between 3 groups ... usually roughly the same size... those it works for in both... those it worked for last but not this and those it didn't work for last but the new one does...

They over correct everything and by the time it kicks on its too late to realise they have massively over corrected...so its like watching a drunk on a bike....

10.0 was really crap for me... all the 9.x worked with my hardware... then 10.1 broke then 10.2 worked again...

I remember some people being really happy with 10.1 because 10.0 hadn't worked ... I had to install 10.1 over the network since it hung my machine.... and then found I was missing nothing exciting and some hardware took a lot of fixing....

Honestly this is a big reason I use Debian now.... the dev cycle might be slower but it doesn't keep going 3 steps forwards and 1 step back