irssi & domain [solved]

Murda

Hi.

I've been thinking that I have to fix this. I have a computer running and I have a domain for it. The problem is, when I make a connection with irssi and do a /whois Murda, it shows murda@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address) instead of my domain. What do I have to do? I've been reading a lot of pages on the internet, but I don't know what to search. Does it have something to do with Reverse DNS?

If I type /set hostname mydomain.tld and /connect irc.network.org, it returns an error saying "false argument" (my system is finnish and I translated that false argument stuff).

If I type "ssh mydomain.tld" in terminal, it works just fine, e-mail is received correctly to murda@mydomain.tld, and apache answers correctly if I type http://mydomain.tld/ in a browser, but that irssi thing is bothering me and I want to learn how to do things. So, if someone has an answer for this or knows a web page which can guide me during the process, please help me.

check to see if your domain is set in /etc/hostname (i imagine there is a way to do this via the Mandriva Control Center)

Yes, it is configured there (Fedora file is /etc/hosts btw, as I'm currently using Fedora Core on the machine).

There's a line saying

127.0.0.1 murdadomain.tld localhost.localdomain localhost

But do i need to add another line saying something like

my.real.ip.addr murdadomain.tld localhost.localdomain localhost

Or is it something else?

I used these two links as a guide for this.

LinuxReviews - Hostname

CPQLinux - Hostname

And added a line in my /etc/hosts:

xx.xx.xxx.xxx   domain.tld	domain

After that I restarted my network interface:

/sbin/service network restart

Everything seems to be configured correctly, but still no hostname/domainname showing up.

I'm thinking that I may have to reboot, but if I do that, I will lose my uptime record. ;)

And hey, this is Linux. Reboot after every single configuration change is the Windows style. Does someone have any clue/thoughts about this?

Edited by Murda

does your ip address have a ptr record?

Just found out that I don't have a PTR record by checking that from http://www.dnsstuff.com.

I read things about setting up PTR and found out that I need to contact my ISP to do that. Am I correct?

Just to make things clear, my server is co-located in my ISP's server room, having a static IP assigned by my ISP.