Services running in Kubuntu

In Mandriva there's a handy panel in the mcc to tell you which services are running, which are automatically started on boot etc - and you can use it to stop / start services. I'm looking for the same kind of thing in Kubuntu. How can I configure what's running and switch off what I don't need?

Is it normal that the services list is so short?

In Mandriva 2007 the list is enormous, and chances are when you go in there there's something running that doesn't really need to be running. In Kubuntu it's a tiny list of things and all of them sound innocuous. Is there some difference as to what's called a service?

I was particularly interested in seeing what things I was exposing to the network, like ssh server or ftp server for example - to make sure I'm not unwittingly leaving things open. Would that kind of thing be listed in bum as a service, or somewhere else? Or does that kind of thing not come as standard with Kubuntu at all?

Re: names, the best app name I've seen is kitchensync for a synchronisation tool. Never used it but a brilliant name!

Aye, Ubuntu/kubuntu is setup to run minimal things by default and not to have everything turn on. But you can easely make the list huge if you want ;)

I'm not much into Kubuntu or KDE for that sake, but you can also check Ksysguard (isn't that the name of KDE's System monitor?)

Youy haven't ever used Arch Linux, did ya? :P

By default it's running just syslog-ng, network, netfs and crond as services, and it's working great- you can add any service you like by hand in it's main (and almost sole) configuration file...

Edited by scarecrow