Mandriva blocks while booting [solved]

Kieth

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be a bad idea if I ran this command, which I found on http://puggy.symonds.net/~rajesh/howto/ext3/ext3-5.html?

5.4 Filesystem check intervals

A feature of e2fsck is that it will regularly force a check of a

filesystem even if the filesystem is marked clean. Typically, this

happens on every twentieth mount or every 180 days, whichever comes

first.

This still happens with ext3, and is quite possibly not what you want

to happen - one of the reasons you chose ext3 was to avoid the downtime

which is caused by a long fsck.

So it is a good idea to turn this feature off for ext3.

Use the command

tune2fs -i 0 /dev/hdxx

To disable the checking.

Yep, disabling the services help speed up the boot process, because it doesn't need to start all the ones we marked for disabled. You'll also have more free memory because of this too.

With ext3 and what you posted, I'm not sure. I don't use ext3, I always use reiserfs ever since I had resizing problems with ext3 that was not possible for me to get around.

If it's really giving you a problem, I'd say use reiserfs instead. I have no problems with this. The only time I use ext3 is when I have no choice, like in Red Hat distros which is the only filesystem they have. In Fedora, you can use reiserfs, but it's unsupported for some weird reason.

While booting up this time, I noticed that I did not get everything written down where it "fails". It goes by so fast it's hard to get it.

For convenient stopping/resuming plain terminal output, you can use the Scroll key top right on your keyboard. Failing services can surely slow down the boot process. Traditionally the next command waits for being carried out until the previous has hit it's failing condition in case something breaks.

When your system starts, dhclient tries to get an IP address (and other data from your dsl-modem). I'm not sure, but the machine will probably get one. However, as you actually start up the adsl-link later manually, you have no net access yet. The ntpdate process *must* fail in this moment, because it's trying to update your system clock by using internet NTP (network time protocol) using a server from it.pool.ntp.org.

HTH,

scoonma

Dummy me, I never thought about the network time protocol. :rolleyes: I just disabled it. So much for that problem. Can I easily change to reiserfs or do I need to re-install, which I'll do if necessary?

:-) Don't worry - things like these happen to all of us sometime....

Regarding reiserfs: From what I've read here ( http://www.linux.org/lessons/advanced/x1254.html ), it's not possible to convert ext3 to reiserfs. However, if you have enough space left on your harddrive(s), you could move your data to a freshly formatted reiserfs partition (thus sparing a re-install). OTOH, if you have no real problems with ext3, I'd advise to stick to it (reiser V3 it not faster, but maybe more safe in some cases than ext3).

I found reiserfs to be faster :o

I was reading up on it, and it came out better than ext3. xfs was only better for multimedia systems, such as those with large mpegs and doing this type of work. xfs is slow with small files.

As you've reinstalled cleanly anyway already, another reinstall to move to reiserfs isn't really gonna be a problem. It's when you've got data it's a bit harder. I've done it, but you can't convert, you have to move all the data about.

Below is my kernal version. If up-grading would solve the problem, is there an easy way to do it?

# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.17-5mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:32:31 EDT 2006 i686 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux

Edited by Kieth

OK, I've done a few things trying to get my system working. First, I updated my kernel, as Timppl suggested. I didn't remove my old kernel, but just booted with the new. It didn't help. After that, I did a new install, using reiserfs, as ian mentioned. Since I have an AMD 3000+ cpu, I decided to instal Mandriva 64 bit. I then installed # urpmi dkms-ati to get my graphic's card working. Unfortunately, my system still stopped at the above 2 mentioned spots. I then changed /etc/sysconfig/init to:

# Set to anything other than 'no' to allow hotkey interactive startup...

PROMPT=no

Still no change.

I then changed /etc/stab to:

/dev/hdb1 / reiserfs notail 0 0

Also at lilo, I pressed esc, typed in linux 1, then typed in fsck /dev/hdb1.

If I wait to see if it really checks the root filesystem, after 10 minutes the screen goes blank, and nothing else happens. I still have to re-set my computer.

Anyway, I tried all the suggestions mentioned in this post, with the exception of up-dating my kernel. The outcome? It still stops at "checking root filesystem", but not as often. It also still stops, all the time, at 'Waiting for network to be up [failed]' (which is not really the purpose of this post, I know).

I'm happy with the fact that it doesn't "block" as often, but if it would be possible to improve the situation, I would be even happier. Any last ideas? Should I try again up-dating the kernel?

As always, I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Kieth

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have tried on more than one occasion to run reiserfck /dev/hdb1, but it won't do it. The message I get is 'Partition /dev/hdb1 is mounted with write permissions, cannot check it. So this time, at lilo, I typed 'linux 1', then I typed 'su', then my password, then 'chmod u+x /dev/hdb1' and then finally 'reiserfck /dev/hdb1'. It still would not check it, but gave me the same responce as before. Write permissions for hdb1 are:

# ls -lg /dev/hdb1

brwxrw---- 1 root 3, 65 Dec 10 2006 /dev/hdb1

Before changing it, it was:

# ls -lg /dev/hdb1

brw-rw---- 1 root 3, 65 Dec 10 2006 /dev/hdb1

I actually have very few problems any more. Once in a while it stops at 'checking root filesystem', but not too often. If there are no other ideas on how I can get this working 'perfectly', I'll close out this post with [solved] written in the title space.

Thanks for your help.

Kieth