another mouse problem

Guest gk3

hi people, i could use some help. i installed the mandriva 2007 dvd that was enclosed in the linux magazine, anyways, the mouse worked fine until i rebooted after the finalization of the install, i just couldn't get it to work no matter what i did...this is a first for me, i would greatly appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance. gk3

What kind of mouse is it? PS/2? USB? Make/Model?

What kind of mouse is it? PS/2? USB? Make/Model?

hi ian, it is a microsoft basic optical mouse 1.0A, usb with a ps/2 adapter.

sounds like the same one i have. i'm using this with 2007 but without the ps/2 adapter. How've you got it connected?

Sometimes you might have to check options in the BIOS about USB keyboard/mice. It could be one of these if you have it connected by usb and experiencing problems.

Also, if you can maybe switch it to the ps/2 port with the adapter and see if it improves.

sounds like the same one i have. i'm using this with 2007 but without the ps/2 adapter. How've you got it connected?

Sometimes you might have to check options in the BIOS about USB keyboard/mice. It could be one of these if you have it connected by usb and experiencing problems.

Also, if you can maybe switch it to the ps/2 port with the adapter and see if it improves.

thanks ian, yeah i tried all of those options and i still couldn't get the mouse to work. it is strange that while installing mandriva it worked all the way through, until i had to reboot when the install was completed.has me confused to say the least.gk3

• 1 year later...
Hmm, check your BIOS for a Plug and Play OS option. If this is enabled, disable this as it can cause havoc with hardware detection for Linux.

I too have been having the exact same mouse problems (and not just in MDV) and I am curious about your suggestion re: BIOS. My BIOS has a selection called "PnP aware OS" and it is set to YES. Are you suggesting that I set it to NO? I can do that but what will that do to my XP installation?

Paul

Set it to "no", indeed.

What will it do to your windoze installation? Absolutely nothing. At the very worst a couple of devices will change IRQ's (not too likely) and XP will ask you to reboot... but this will happen only once.

So out of curiosity.... what exactly is happening? If the BIOS thinks the OS will take care of configuration does that mean that some devices may conflict and/or not function until the PnP OS boots? Like maybe USB? MDV can see the USB card and ports from what I can tell. But it cannot see connected devices like my mouse. IRQ problem?

Can't wait to get home tonight and try it. This one has been driving me nuts! And again, out of curiosity..... why would the mouse work under MDV and then suddenly not? And why would it ALWAYS work under PCLinuxOS (it does)? Does PCLOS qualify as a PnP aware OS?

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz

OK in my case at least, my dead mouse issue has been solved. And the problem wasn’t any of the suggestions I have read about such as ACPI or setting “PnP aware OS” to NO in BIOS. The problem was how I was booting Linux. Perhaps this will help others who are still having trouble.

I have been experimenting with various distros such as Mandriva Free, Mandriva One, Ubuntu, Xandros and PCLinuxOS in multiple boot scenarios with Windows XP. Each time I install a new distro it replaces the boot loader, sometimes without even asking. If I then let a preexisintg OS reinstall Grub, the result can be that Grub is misconfigured. In my case, Mandriva was the oldest installation, followed by PCLinuxOS and then Ubuntu.

If I let each distro install its own boot loader one after the other, all seems to be OK. But if I then let one of the previously installed distros reinstall Grub (PCLinuxOS in this case), it breaks. During the Grub reinstall from PCLinuxOS, Grub looked to me like it was retrieving the image to boot when I pointed it to the root of each desired OS. But closer inspection showed that it was not….. it was entering the image filename for the current OS. For some reason, this actually boots the desired OS but since Grub used the wrong image filename the boot process seems to default to some folders that do not exist and among other things the mouse and USB drivers don’t load.

The cure in my case was to copy menu.lst from the Grub folder on Ubuntu (which could correctly boot all OSs until I let PCLinuxOS reinstall Grub) over to the Grub folder of PCLinuxOS (which is currently responsible for Grub). There may be a simpler way to get everything configured correctly but that was what worked for me. I suspect that reinstalling any distro and allowing it to overwrite the MBR would also have fixed it, for the same reason.

There needs to be a simple way to reinstall the boot loader if it gets hosed and have it correctly configured for all operating systems. I know it can be done because a new install seems to get it right. But I have not been successful doing it after the fact. Have I missed something simple?

An additional issue I discovered is that the graphical version of Grub apparently cannot display as many options as the text version. Since I have three Linux installs and XP, the graphical version runs out of room and truncates the first several entries..... without warning.

EDIT:

Been reading up on Grub and I think I have discovered the problem. When configuring Grub from within PCLinuxOS (for example) I have been using what I thought was the Linux convention of (for example) hdb5 = the fifth partition on the second hard drive. But Grub does it differently? In Grub-speak, that would be hd1,4? So I was directing Grub to the wrong partition when I manually configured it within PCLOS via the GUI ??

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz