Cannot shutdown from grapical interface

aperahama

Hi

I have just installed Mandriva 2007.

All works well but when I click on logout, shutdown is not an option. Even at the login screen there is no shutdown option just a blue screen with a very simply, boring box with a username and login. There is no where to change the window manager from KDE to ice or whatever.

It a minor point but going into a text screen to shutdown is a little beyond most of this household (most of them still think Linux is a bit weird but are willing to use it)

any help here would be greatfully received.

If you're using kde, your login manager should be kdm. If gnome, then it should be gdm. Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager. You can confirm if it's set correctly here.

Do you have the 3D-desktop activated.

No not yet, I need to install the nvidia drivers first. Its a low priority at the moment. Is it necessary?

If you're using kde, your login manager should be kdm. If gnome, then it should be gdm. Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager. You can confirm if it's set correctly here.

When I go here the only option I'm given is XDM.

I was using KDE but after I installed some software when I rebooted the GUI came up as IceWM and I can not find a way of restarting in KDE

You can just do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out of the gui or log off. To get kdm, do:

urpmi kdebase-kdm

It should also install mandriva-kdm-config as well, if not:

urpmi mandriva-kdm-config

and then you should be able to configure your system in MCC, to get your system back to normal. Then within kdm once you get to the login screen, you can just choose KDE and make it your default system here and you'll always get kde.

You can just do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out of the gui or log off. To get kdm, do:

urpmi kdebase-kdm

It should also install mandriva-kdm-config as well, if not:

urpmi mandriva-kdm-config

and then you should be able to configure your system in MCC, to get your system back to normal. Then within kdm once you get to the login screen, you can just choose KDE and make it your default system here and you'll always get kde.

Thanks for our help ianw1974, I have managed to restore KDE but still no joy on the display managers. urpmi kdebase-kdm tells me there is no package named kdebase-kdm and mandriva-kdm-config is already installed. Unfortunately still only XDM is still the only display manager offer to me. Is there somewhere else I can set the display manager?

You can try:

urpmf --name kdm

and see what results come back. Then you can install the package. If you don't have it, click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and add your sources for main/contrib/updates at least, but I would also add plf-free/plf-nonfree as well, as there are extra goodies in here.

Then try again, and you should find the package you need.