More log files [solved]

riseringseeker

I thought I would let everyone know that I am fairly confident that my server was not compromised (but am going through the log files daily anyway - just to be sure). I was also finally able to install and get denyhosts running.

None of the RPMs available from here would work for me, even after installing libpython2.4-devel, which I found looking through the mailing list, is required. I then tried the tarball again, and since I had install the required library, it worked!

I was not able to get it to run as per instructions however. I had to put this in crontab:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * python /usr/bin/denyhosts.py --daemon -c /usr/share/denyhosts/denyhosts.cfg

Since I did that, it is running just fine, and my /etc/hosts.deny is steadily growing.

The only continuing problems I have is not getting auto-emails from the system (I must need to tweak something to be able to let the program(s) trying to send emails to my gmail account to get out.), and figuring out how to configure the router and server to use a port other than 22. So, it's still a little bit of a work in progress.

Thank you all for your help - it is much appreciated.

To set up ssh to another port is very easy:

Just change

# Port 22

to

Port xxx

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart sshd.

I just did it earlier today.

Yes, that changes the ssh server, and I have done that, but it is the configuration of the router in conjunction with changing the server port that seems to be frustrating me. Scroll back up and you can see the configuration window I have to work with for the router. I have tried XXXX in pretty much any combination of the fields the port number would go into (where XXXX = the same port sshd is set to), and still I cannot log in.

You won't be able to choose Secure Shell from the dropdown box, because it defaults to the standard port of 22.

You would have to choose custom, and then set the inbound port to the new port you've chosen for the relevant boxes.

You won't be able to choose Secure Shell from the dropdown box, because it defaults to the standard port of 22.

You would have to choose custom, and then set the inbound port to the new port you've chosen for the relevant boxes.

Of course, I can still choose Secure Shell, just change what it points to as the port. I have tried 9022 as the inbound port, and/or the "private" port (I am not sure what that means) with sshd having the same value, and am unable to log in with it set like that. I also don't understand why there are two choices for each.

I am leaving in 2 1/2 hours and will be on an airplane or in an airport for 27 hours after that, and won't be home for 25 days, for until I get back, it'll have to stay pointed at port 22. I don't dare make the change when I am 10,000 miles from home, or I fear I won't be able to get back on at all.