cupsd and mandriva 2007

retcynm

I've installed mandriva 2007 on several machines in our office, and am trying to get printing setup with our networked Brother HL1870n b/w laser printer. I went to brother's website and downloaded and installed their linux drivers (rpm -ivh --no-deps brhl18_2-1.0.0-0-noarch.rpm), then went to localhost:631 and installed the printer, and succesfully printed a test page. Unfortunantly I seem to be unable to print fromn any other applications, on any of the machines.

If. for example, I try to print a document from within kedit (File >> Print..), the print window opens, then another dialoge opens that states "Initializing printiong system..." then an error window appears that states "An error occured while retrieveing the printer list: Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the ipp request failed for an unknown reason." I get the same error dialoges no mater what application I try to print from. I am able to ping the printer by IP address, from the linux boxes.

I searched the forums here and came across the following thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...39&hl=print

rpm -qa | grep cups returns:

libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
libcups2-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0
cups-common-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0
libgnomecups-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
cups-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

chkconfig --list cups returns:

cups			0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

service cups status returns:

cupsd is stopped

and netstat -tan returns no mention of anything on 631.

If I go to MCC >> System >> Services, cups is listed as stopped, with "on boot" unchecked. I can start cups from there, or with:

service cups start

chkconfig --list cups then returns:

cups			0:off   1:off   2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off

and netstat -tan returns:

tcp		0	  0 :::631					  :::*						LISTEN

But, I am still getting the same errors and lack of printing when I try to print. Also when I reboot, CUPSD is no longer running.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both cups and the brother drivers, but

the problem persists on all machines. Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you applied updates to the system? I saw this on someone who hadn't applied updates and had problems with cups. As soon as they applied the updates, it worked perfectly fine.