Hello

IE6 failed ater some seconds of use.

I open it in the console:

err:xrender:UploadGlyph GetGlyphOutlineW failed
fixme:font:WineEngGetGlyphOutline FT_Load_Glyph on index ec returns 6
fixme:font:WineEngGetGlyphOutline FT_Load_Glyph on index eb returns 6
4linux/ie6/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE: xrender.c:1262: X11DRV_XRender_ExtTextOut: Assertion `formatEntry' failed.
fixme:imm:ImmDisableIME (-1): stub
wine: Assertion failed at address 0xbfffe410 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
WineDbg starting on pid 0x8
Unhandled exception: assertion failed in 32-bit code (0xbfffe410).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:003b GS:0033
EIP:bfffe410 ESP:00349344 EBP:0034935c EFLAGS:00000206(   - 00	  - -IP1)
EAX:00000000 EBX:000024e7 ECX:000024e7 EDX:00000006
ESI:003493fc EDI:b7e48ff4
Stack dump:
0x00349344:  0034935c 00000006 000024e7 b7d47fc0
0x00349354:  b7e48ff4 b7d1b940 00349488 b7d49851
0x00349364:  00000006 003493fc 00000000 b7e4a120
0x00349374:  7c0b3160 b7e48ff4 b7e4a120 0000008d
0x00349384:  003493a0 b7d86d85 b7e4a120 0000008d
0x00349394:  b7e48ff4 0000008c 0000008d 0034946c
fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for c0000119
Backtrace:
=>1 0xbfffe410 (0xbfffe410)
 2 0xb7d49851 abort+0x101 in libc.so.6 (0xb7d49851)
 3 0xb7d4153b __assert_fail+0xfb in libc.so.6 (0xb7d4153b)
 4 0x7e946770 X11DRV_XRender_ExtTextOut+0x1e90 in winex11 (0x7e946770)
0xbfffe410: popl		%ebp

What should I do?

Nadav

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Why do you need to run IE?

Testing web designs and doing some bank transactions is good enough a reason- or not?

Which wine version? Latest ones use IE6 skin and gecko engine, which is a real pain to setup. Last wine version that used a "native" (sorry...) IE6 was 0.9.10, if I'm not mistaken. Also Crossover Office does not use the Gecko hack.

Testing web designs and doing some bank transactions is good enough a reason- or not?
I wasn't being facetious...it was a serious question. It's possible that there is an easier way to do what he needs to do, instead of trying to run IE via wine (which can be quite the PITA).

I wasn't being facetious...it was a serious question. It's possible that there is an easier way to do what he needs to do, instead of trying to run IE via wine (which can be quite the PITA).

I can't access my bank since it use in Document.all in javascript.

The same problem with another website.

I am now in the work and then I will come home I check the wine version.

Why do you need to run IE?

Which wine version? Latest ones use IE6 skin and gecko engine, which is a real pain to setup. Last wine version that used a "native" (sorry...) IE6 was 0.9.10, if I'm not mistaken. Also Crossover Office does not use the Gecko hack.

Good reason .... very very very bad reason!

Testing is a good reason .... bank access? Whoahh... would you use the words leakiest browser for bank transactions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Security

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125772-page,3/article.html

8. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)

Full of features, easy to use, and a virtual engraved invitation to hackers and other digital delinquents, Internet Explorer 6.x might be the least secure software on the planet. How insecure? In June 2004, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) took the unusual step of urging PC users to use a browser--any browser--other than IE. Their reason: IE users who visited the wrong Web site could end up infected with the Scob or Download.Ject keylogger, which could be used to steal their passwords and other personal information. Microsoft patched that hole, and the next one, and the one after that, and so on, ad infinitum.

To be fair, its ubiquity paints a big red target on it--less popular apps don't draw nearly as much fire from hackers and the like. But here's hoping that Internet Explorer 7 springs fewer leaks than its predecessor.

bank access? Whoahh... would you use the words leakiest browser for bank transactions?
Unfortunately some banks don't give you a choice. They do stupid IE-only stuff, even though it's easy to do without and still have a secure site (on the server side). The company I work for does it...and we even use .Net....

bank access? Whoahh... would you use the words leakiest browser for bank transactions?
Unfortunately some banks don't give you a choice. They do stupid IE-only stuff, even though it's easy to do without and still have a secure site (on the server side). The company I work for does it...and we even use .Net....

Yep my bank does it as well ... I just don't use it and ring them up ...and when they suggest IE I tell them when they pay for a copy of XP I'll start using it :D

It winds them up no end since they don't want you using their call centre ... its costs them money...

obviously when its your employer its a bit different :D

But the problem is IE6 is bad enough.... SP2 a bit better but I never saw any decent security writeups about using it under wine... It might be safer ..? It might not?

The idea was the same: Nobody would use it of course, but some banks (out of stupidity or dunno what) DO require sexploiter for their transactions... and that's why I've kept an old wine copy on my puter- the transverstie gecko powered/IE6 skinned/wine drunk browsers fail to work with these stupid banks- they require a "genuine" sexploiter, and running vmplayer or any other PC emu for just a couple of dull bank transactions is stupid- isn't it?

I've got IE6 in wine on my system, purely because our timesheet system at work requires it, and doesn't work in Firefox for some weird reason. Probably the coding or some activex stuff or something.

Never bothered to find out, but at least I can do the basics with that. The only other thing I use in wine is my Lotus Notes client, since we've not upgraded to 7 yet, and that's where the native Linux client comes into play :P

nadavvin: try this program

I installed with this script.

# wine --version
Wine 0.9.20

What should I do?

That's the same version I have..

If you have cabextract then you just run the file as shown on the site....

However ... I seriously would consider the security issues of running IE under wine...

i.e. take the security implications of using it in the native form ... which are pretty huge and then give your bank etc. some credit and figure they probably thought of the worse/most common ones...

Then go back and think how integrated into the OS IE is..... how many of the patches, security stuff is actually dependant on the OS ??? In other words what does IE6SP2 actually change over IE6 ??

(............ I don't know) but Im guessing its not just iexplorer.exe and that many of the patches in IE6SP2 are OS patches...

So lets say your bank has done some clever stuff for security (stuff they are not likely to tell anyone or it would be self defeating) ... will that clever stuff apply with IE on Wine ???

Like I say .. I dunno.... but I can bet if you ask (Email me: slopes at gmail) then he'll refer you back to

Who is the target public?

* WebDesigners that want to move to Linux but still need to test their sites on IE.

* People who have to open IE-only sites

The IEs installations are smaller than usual because they include only the necessary files to have a good test browser (there is no Outlook, Media Player etc).

Please, don’t use any of these IEs to navigate!! Get Firefox