Civilme Speaks for Himself

Counterspy

[newbie] Off list for a while

* Subject: [newbie] Off list for a while

* Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:20:51 -0800

I was looking at the Mandrakesoft site recently and I saw a recommendation for folks to use MandrakeExpert rather than these mailing lists.

I hate the web interface and It required a great effort with databases to keep up with the incidents when I was answering questions on the MandrakeExpert site.  I guess the advantage of local copies in the email is pretty great.

Anyway, it occurs to me that what help I give here is essentially competing 

with something that could generate revenue for Mandrakesoft and I know they need it.

After 8 months, I am still seeking employment following the Mandrakesoft 

layoffs, so I can say the market for jobs in hi-tech is atrocious.  Even in 

another area where I am a professional, technical writing, there is 

nothing...  well, nothing without a hundred applicants willing to work cheap.

If any of you know of jobs in your area email me off-list.  I am ready to 

relocate, even to NZ.

So goodbye..

Civileme

Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft? 

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Civilme speaks for himself.

Counterspy

Anyway, it occurs to me that what help I give here is essentially competing 

with something that could generate revenue for Mandrakesoft and I know they need it.

Is he a member of this forum ?

[newbie] Off list for a while

* Subject: [newbie] Off list for a while

* Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:20:51 -0800

If any of you know of jobs in your area email me off-list.  I am ready to 

relocate, even to NZ.

So goodbye..

Civileme

Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft? 

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Civilme speaks for himself.

Counterspy

even to NZ...

He makes it sound like a bad place :)

And, once again, the eternal dissing of Mandrake's true support and potential disrtubution-marketing channel rears its ugly head. It is amazing how so many techies can be so dull when it comes to creating a different business model! The idea that answering questions is part of paying is right out of the Official Microsoft Handbook of Customer Service: Always Have Your Hands On Their Wallets :twisted:

I realize that our friend did not intend this reaction, but the confused thinking about this really runs out of control. And I'm a capitalist!! :roll:

It is amazing how so many techies can be so dull when it comes to creating a different business model!
Very true. Add to that the inability to ship prepaid orders in time, and refusal fix bugs that have been there for ages. Both are enough to bring a distro down.

The lists can be found here: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/flists.php3 .

For the most part, you won't learn much more than you do here and you will fill your mailbox with everything posted on the list.

As far as MandrakeExpert is concerned, it is a Big Fat Waste of Money. The experts are second rate compared with the results you get here or in the newsgroup, alt.os.linux.mandrake. I don't exactly like the web interface compared with a list where you can see all of the responses but I support the ability of this site to be a stopping off place for many different services expanding as we speak with new and exciting offerings to make us one stop service for Mandrake users.

The only reason the two lists, Newbie and Expert have not been shut down is that it would cost Mandrakesoft more ill-will than they want to incurr at this point in time. If they do manage to survive, a circumstance I am gradually loosing any reasonable hope for, you can count on their disappearance through benign neglect. If and when they close them down, you can count on this site seriously looking at picking up both lists. One thing needs to be faced from the administration point-of-view is that lists are time consuming and labour intensive compared to web or usenet support and once many users get their boxes full, they opt out in a hurry.

To answer the question as to who Civilme is, and in this context was a Mandrakesoft employee, IIRC worked in quality control and was a victim of a layoff. He was extremely popular on the Newbie Mailing List and created close to a revolt there when the unfortunate consequences of mismanagement descended on him. He continued to volunteer on the list after his layoff which occurred some time ago and continued to volunteer his time but reached the end of his rope when put in the position of being in competition with a Mandrakesoft service, not exactly in one who when one would like a recall notice.

As far as him coming here, he would need to change handles, since we are regarded as characters in Arsenic and Old Lace.

Counterspy

who is he?

he is the man who's contribution and effort caused 8.2 to be the one of the top mandrake releases. civileme always presents a helping hand and when it comes to mandrake issues, his word carries enough strength that i have never seen anybody refute it.

it was a sad day when mandrakesoft laid-off civileme. i still think they should have kept him. but then again, im no businessman.

ciao!

it was a sad day when mandrakesoft laid-off civileme. i still think they should have kept him. but then again, im no businessman.
They should have fired somebody else instead. I wonder how he could have been the most disposable person.

Could the club members voice over the concern of keeping him behind?

i doubt it would do any good. the powers that be behind mandrakesoft has already spoken that they had to let civileme go along with some of the equally-important-but-not-so-famous mandrakesoft employees.

civileme is another reason why i want mandrakesoft to be profitable. that man is INVALUABLE.

ciao!