2007 adventure

oshunluvr

Here's my current 2007 install saga...

Install from powerpack DVD fails UNLESS I disconnect my ide drive. I have two sata's (not raid) and one ide hd and one ide dvdrw. The install fails immediately after the partition format (whether or not I actually choose to format the partition). The error message looks like;

An error occurred

INTENAL ERROR: no kernel available...

...then a list of about twenty file or package names.

I was able to get it to install if I disconnected (pulled the cable) from my ide drive. I tried various states of access for the drive none of which seemed to matter - unformatted and formatted in various fashions.

So after going though all that I later decided I wanted to reorg my partitons and in doing so I removed the boot sector for the 2007 install. FYI: I usually install a new boot sector for the latest install on a different drive from my currect stable OS so that if/when I switch over to the new install I need only point the bios default to that boot drive. During the testing and setup phase for the new OS I boot to the stable OS and point lilo to the new install and the new install lilo has a pointer to the stable install. This also provides a sort of backup boot if ever needed.

So I wanted to clean install 2007 to one of my sata drives - but as I noted above I have to pull the ide drive to make it work. Not wanting to disassmble my computer again, I tried every boot option I could find to make the install work - as you might guess - nada. Maybe my powerpack dvd isn't any good, so I burned a 2007 One disk and tried that. It worked! I figured I could just urpim.addmedia to the powerpack packages and update and install as required, no big deal.

Well, that works EXCEPT the new install won't connect to the internet. The previous 2007 install did and 2006 does no problem. So far I've only edited the ifcg-eth0 script to look like the previous install and like the 2006 install but still no internet. BTW I am able to access my home network no problem. I will post a new thread in the correct place for the network issue, but I wondered if anyone had solved the sata issues. I've seen lots of posts of problems with sata users.

Here's my current 2007 install saga...

Install from powerpack DVD fails UNLESS I disconnect my ide drive. I have two sata's (not raid) and one ide hd and one ide dvdrw. The install fails immediately after the partition format (whether or not I actually choose to format the partition). The error message looks like;

An error occurred

INTENAL ERROR: no kernel available...

...then a list of about twenty file or package names.

I was able to get it to install if I disconnected (pulled the cable) from my ide drive. I tried various states of access for the drive none of which seemed to matter - unformatted and formatted in various fashions.

So after going though all that I later decided I wanted to reorg my partitons and in doing so I removed the boot sector for the 2007 install. FYI: I usually install a new boot sector for the latest install on a different drive from my currect stable OS so that if/when I switch over to the new install I need only point the bios default to that boot drive. During the testing and setup phase for the new OS I boot to the stable OS and point lilo to the new install and the new install lilo has a pointer to the stable install. This also provides a sort of backup boot if ever needed.

So I wanted to clean install 2007 to one of my sata drives - but as I noted above I have to pull the ide drive to make it work. Not wanting to disassmble my computer again, I tried every boot option I could find to make the install work - as you might guess - nada. Maybe my powerpack dvd isn't any good, so I burned a 2007 One disk and tried that. It worked! I figured I could just urpim.addmedia to the powerpack packages and update and install as required, no big deal.

Well, that works EXCEPT the new install won't connect to the internet. The previous 2007 install did and 2006 does no problem. So far I've only edited the ifcg-eth0 script to look like the previous install and like the 2006 install but still no internet. BTW I am able to access my home network no problem. I will post a new thread in the correct place for the network issue, but I wondered if anyone had solved the sata issues. I've seen lots of posts of problems with sata users.

I'm dual booting with 2007 and winXP. The installation went smooth and fast. My PC:

sda: SATAII 200GB WinXP

sdb: SATAII 250GB only Data

hdd: IDE 40GB Mandriva 2007

Still testing and configuring it though.

I'm dual booting with 2007 and winXP. The installation went smooth and fast. My PC:

sda: SATAII 200GB WinXP

sdb: SATAII 250GB only Data

hdd: IDE 40GB Mandriva 2007

Still testing and configuring it though.

Yeah sounds like a similar setup to mine;

sda: SATAII 250gb Mandriva 2007 (8 partitions)

sdb: SATAII 250gb Mandriva 2006 (7 partitions)

hda: Toshiba dvdrw

hdb: Slide out drive bay (empty for now)

hdd: IDE/ATA133 250gb WinXP Pro (3 partitions)

I would totally believe it was the dvd disc that is bad EXCEPT when I pull the hdd:drive it will install. Very weird. Maybe there is a bad file on the dvd causing the problem only when the IDE drive is installed. Of course, the IDE drive works fine after the install.

I noticed some errata regarding kernel 2.6.17.1 and reiserfs and xfs (both of which I was using along with FAT32, NTFS and ext3). But my kernel that installs is 2.6.17.5mdv and the crash occurs before package selection so I don't get a chance to try another kernel version anyway. I have since wiped the reiserfs partions and reformated them as xfs.