Screen doesn't turn back on after standby

Guest omar2006

Guest omar2006

Hello,

Mandriva allows users to put their laptops on standby mode by pressing "FN" + "Standby" (Esc key on my laptop). This works well except for the fact that when you try to start your computer from standby mode, the screen never turns back on. The screen just stays black. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also when I close my laptop screen, the screen shuts off but when you open the screen again, the screen never turns back on.

Anyone know how to fix this also?

Thanks,

--omar2006

• 4 weeks later...

Did you try this:

quoting myself from https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37166

I had a problem with my screen staying black - I had to add a kernel option (acpi_sleep=s3_bios) in /etc/lilo.conf, now the relevant section looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="resume=/dev/hda8 acpi_sleep=s3_bios splash=silent"
	vga=788

Remember that after modifying lilo.conf you have to run the command

lilo

to get the bootloader to be placed in the bootsector.

Let us know if this helps.

• 4 months later...
Guest niemda

I've using Dell Inspiron 1300 and have same problem... adding acpi_sleep=s3_bios and using laptop-kernel doesn't solve this problem... Can you suggest other variants?

Guest niemda

Today i've made some experiments... suspend working bad...

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1300) entering in sleeping state (power led is blinking), but can't wake up. Screen is turned off, and led on my mouse off, but power led light constantly like laptop is powered up.

It's for laptop-kermel and klaptop active(all checboxex selected, helper application activated)

Thanks for your advice.

Guest niemda

Lately trying hibernate... Works, but there is problem too... When computer waking up from hibernate, X.Org server set 1024x768 resolution and drop widescreen modes...

It's possible to recover 1280x800 resolution without restarting Xserver?

Hmm, you could try just adding the correct 1280x800 mode to the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (make a backup of the old one just in case).

And taking out all other modes, naturally.

To debug things, you may want to look at the logfile at /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or likewise, depending on which xserver number you were running).

Otherwise, you may want to try out krandrtray (if you're using KDE) to see if that will allow you to switch resolutions, it's a try icon.

From the command line you can try

xrandr

for more info, try

man xrandr

Hope this helps, I know it's a lack of comfort to have a laptop without proper suspend to ram and to disk...

I've always been lucky enough to manage so far (knock on wood!)...

BTW I'm trying out Mandriva 2007.1 and it uses a different suspend method (swsuspend vs pmsuspend I think....).

I've not had to muck about with anything (well, rc3, lots of mucking about, but not for suspend/hibernate), so you might want to give it a try (maybe the final, not the rc, though it's quite ok for me).

Edited by aRTee