urpmi [solved]

studmuffin007

Is it possible to remove urpmi from my 2007 system as it seems to be locked i have tried restarting the pc ive gone to var/lib/urpmi and tried to remove the files called LOCK and RPMLOCK but all i get is access denied and also entert code into a terminal to try and remove them but to no avail

thanks in advance

as tyme said, you have to be root (or superuser) to kill all urpmi processes and remove those files. since you have rebooted then the processes should be non-existing so the second one is the only task that needs completing.

if you cant remove those files as root then this might be a bigger problem (but i doubt it). one option would be to go into rescue mode, open a terminal, and then delete those lock files. but i doubt you would need to go that far. you could also try going into single user more (init 1 ?) before going to rescue mode (using the installer discs).

ciao!

Thanks for your help people but i am still quite a newbie to this a little more help or even a walk through would be appreciated. the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK files are still there and it keeps telling me that the urpmi is locked i have even gone to /ect/kde/kdm/kdmrc opened it up in a txt editor and tried to change allowrootlogin=false to true but even that wont let me change the false to true so i can delete those files.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm, it's very simple really. Open a konsole/terminal, you can do this in KDE or even Gnome.

In KDE, System, Terminals, Konsole, Then type this:

su (enter root password when prompted)
rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

you cannot go wrong with that.

thanks ianw1974 i think that did it i was able to get updates but i still get a message telling me that a fatal error occurred: its impossible to retrieve the list of new packagesfrom the media update_source ect ect i have run urpmi.update and i get this returned (one of Powerpack DVD i586, Powerpack DVD i586 (non-free), updates, main, contrib, plf-free, plf-nonfree, update_source, update_source2, beryl) whats that all mean?

Thanks in advance

You have all the sources, but it could be that the mirror you are trying to get to is uncontactable or something.

You can update the media from the command line using:

su (enter root password when prompted)
urpmi.update -a

to see if it works any better than the gui interface that might be causing you problems as it's a bit broken in 2007 at the minute. You also seem to have update_source and update_source2, which is the same as the updates you already have, so maybe:

urpmi.removemedia update_source
urpmi.removemedia update_source2

and leave updates, as this is fine.