Show Off Your Desktop - November 2006

ianw1974

C'mon guys, show 'em off.

Surprised no-one started this thread yet :P

Will post mine in a bit, just finishing an install ;-)

EDIT:

Here we are, Fedora Core 6, Brushed and Glass Icons. Default wallpaper for now ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon guys, show 'em off.

Surprised no-one started this thread yet :P

Will post mine in a bit, just finishing an install ;-)

Thanks ian. I usually start this thread at the beginning of the month but between work and school I've been very distracted.

Taking Ubuntu for a spin... still feels weird to be using Gnome.

Hey Foz de Iguacu, right? I once got lost in the jungle over there, after I decided to leave the trail. I wondered through the jungle for hours and finally found the river and had to climb down 30m and then walk to the falls for several kilometres (climbing through many smaller and bigger falls My desktop, did change from last month, so look over in last months thread.

Edited by ffi

Taking Ubuntu for a spin... still feels weird to be using Gnome.

If you need tips for setup eyecandy (or other things), I'll gladly help.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I just killed my desktop system with a BIOS update to a motherboard I just got friday :(

Did that to my wife's computer, had to buy a new motherboard, processor, memory and video card (the new board didn't have built-in video like the old one). Ah well, good excuse for an upgrade ;)

Unfortunately I left me gnome session unlocked, my missus took advantage of this and vandalised my desktop........

Nice :P

I have a habit of always locking my desktop now. After working in London, my colleagues used to take advantage of unlocked systems and send emails to your boss/whoever and say you loved them. Was funny, but everyone knew when such email arrived it was from a compromised system :-)

That and we used to put sellotape on the bottom of mouses so the ball didn't work. Or re-arrange the letters on the keyboard so they couldn't find the letters. Moving the Z and the X about was enough to confuse people. Or find a word that contains one of each letter, and spell it out on the keyboard re-arranging the letters. Like "Linux" or something more naughty :P

I have a habit of always locking my desktop now. After working in London, my colleagues used to take advantage of unlocked systems and send emails to your boss/whoever and say you loved them. Was funny, but everyone knew when such email arrived it was from a compromised system :-)

That and we used to put sellotape on the bottom of mouses so the ball didn't work. Or re-arrange the letters on the keyboard so they couldn't find the letters. Moving the Z and the X about was enough to confuse people. Or find a word that contains one of each letter, and spell it out on the keyboard re-arranging the letters. Like "Linux" or something more naughty :P

Yeah we had a joker like that in my previous workplace, although their methods went a bit further, one example was to get the autocomplete in M$ Word to change "the" into any obscenity you desired. :D

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Yeah, that was a good one. I remembered trying to implement that one, but it was too late and everyone had their machines locked :P

I found a website with loads of tips of things for office pranks. Was pretty cool.

If you need tips for setup eyecandy (or other things), I'll gladly help.
Just a quick tip for me, please! Is it possible / easy to add the wobbly windows to (K)ubuntu? Do I need Aiglx / Xgl / Compiz / Quinnstorm / Beryl / something else, and if so is it easy to add? I'm test-driving Kubuntu Edgy which didn't seem to come with the 3d stuff as standard like Mandriva 2007 does. Any help or a pointer would be great!