firefox plugins - windows media

null

I can't ever play any videos on the web, well hardly ever.

For example, I have tried to play many "help" videos for some equipment I own, or am thinking about buying.

most videos are wmv, and all I get is messages that "can't play this file, you may need to install additional plugins".

How do linux users play these videos?

edit: sorry, I just noticed the windows media thread started by oldnoob... I'll try the suggestions in that thread...

ok, I tried #urpmi win32-codecs, and it said "the packages are already installed"

I thought so, I installed that codec stuff way back after I installed mandriva. Don't know why I haven't ever been able to watch videos.

Edited by null

all I get is:

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi mplayerplugin

ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib/ mplayerplugin-3.11-1mdk.i586.rpm
	0% of 0 completed, ETA = --:--:--, speed = 0					...retri eving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or signal 0

Installation failed, some files are missing:
ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib/ mplayerplugin-3.11-1mdk.i586.rpm
You may want to update your urpmi database

...retrieving failed: curl: (9) FTP: access denied

so then I did:

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi.removemedia -a
removing medium "main"
removing medium "contrib"
removing medium "plf-free"
removing medium "plf-nonfree"
removing medium "updates"
found 0 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

and then I went thru the easy urpmi steps to add everything again, with different sources this time:

plf-free and plf-nonfree both worked ok, but all the others failed:

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirror.umr.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/main/updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium updates
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf-free.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf-nonfree.cz]
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "updates"...
ftp://mirror.umr.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/main/updates/media_info/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (9) FTP: access denied
retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "updates"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "updates"
found 0 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
unable to update medium "updates"

is it just a matter of trying and trying and trying over and over again until you find sources that work?

if so, the "easy urpmi" name should probably be changed...

The problem at the moment seems to be most of the mirrors are askew. I have tried 5 or 6 in different countries and finally found one in the USA. It was .edu one. Easy-urpmi is exactly as it says and is not to blame for the difficulties you are having.

Either leave things for a few days or just keep trying different world mirrors.

At the moment I have no problems with Main or Contrib but I still can't seem to get much sense from Updates even from the same mirror that supplies Main and Contrib. I have tried to find Updates, bugfixes and security on Mandrivas Website but it doesn't seem to be there (maybe I can't see it for looking). Maybe that is why the mirrors have problems. Like they say, they are mirrors to Mandriva, so if it is out then so will they be.

Cheers. John.

Try skipping the 'update' portion of the tree and just install main and contrib and plf for now.

Your other option while you wait for the mirrors to sort out is to download the rpm manually and you can still use urpmi (or the rpm command) to install it.

the mplayerplugin rpm is found in contrib. If you can access a mirror either through your browser or ftp client then try that.

Example:

find mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv2007.0.i586.rpm @

http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/Man...ontrib/release/

Once downloaded, as root, goto the directory where you downloaded the file and use

urpmi mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

If dependencies are required you can manually grab those too.

-Crispus