Question on package installer in Mandriva 2007

eroica

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've just finished installing mandriva 2007 and went to look for kaffeine to install in MCC but got nothing back on search.
It's not completely broken, at least not for me. This is what I see:

post-10937-1162946893_thumb.jpg

I think this is what you want. I think the main problem is that you need to do an update to get the changes to rpmdrake, and if the rpmdrake isn't working properly then it's a bit tricky. I used urpmi from the cli to update everything, and that seemed to fix it. Without any cooker or backports.

It's just a matter of time till the update version of 2007 or to find a new version on the newly opened /backports

how does one get access to the cooker or /backports rpmdrake package?

Backports is a new tree in main, it's not in cooker. It's under media/main. You can add it like any other ftp tree.

It's not completely broken, at least not for me. This is what I see:

no unfortunately i get no results back when i do a search b4 installing kaffeine. once i installed kaffeine using urpmi then it shows as an installed package.

Backports is a new tree in main, it's not in cooker. It's under media/main. You can add it like any other ftp tree.

i'm sorry but do you mean i can add it like any other repo?

not to belabor the point but if people @ mandriva knew rpmdrake was broke why wasnt the old version used and then offer the new rpmdrake as an update once bugs were worked out? And why is there no mention of this trouble in the errata or release notes.

Hi. I've come to use the command line as I find it to be more stable and flexible, so I don't know if it would help you but I have heard the old version of rpmdrake has been kept in the distro. I hardly ever use the gui and have not tried this but here is some info about it:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq -y rpmdrake
old_rpmdrake
park-rpmdrake
rpmdrake
[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq -i old_rpmdrake
Name		: old_rpmdrake
Version	 : 2.27
Release	 : 2mdv2007.0
Group	   : System/Configuration/Packaging
Size		: 546141					   Architecture: i586
Source RPM  : old_rpmdrake-2.27-2mdv2007.0.src.rpm   Build Host: n3.mandriva.com
Packager	: Iurt the rebuild bot <warly@mandriva.com>
URL		 : http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/soft/rpmdrake/
Summary	 : Mandriva Linux graphical front end for sofware installation/removal
Description :
rpmdrake is a simple graphical frontend to manage software packages on a
Mandriva Linux system; it has 3 different modes:
- software packages installation;
- software packages removal;
- MandrivaUpdate (software packages updates).

A fourth program manages the media (add, remove, edit).
[rolf@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rolf]# urpmi --test old_rpmdrake

installing old_rpmdrake-2.27-2mdv2007.0.i586.rpm from /mnt/hd/media/contrib/release
Preparing...					 ################################################################################
########
Installation is possible
[root@localhost rolf]#

You (or I) could remove the --test option to install old_rpmdrake. (You need a contrib source added.)

take a look at this post and the one below to see some strange differencies between the different package managers

thanx. that is my problem. when I uncheck updates in media manager i get all installable packages

Yes.

im sorry. what exactly is the add.urpmi command?More specifically what is the exact media address.

ok thanx. the "release" repo's are they equivalent to repo's i've been using from easyurpmi? and the "updates" repo's are they equivalent to checking the update box in media manager and backports is akin to thac's repo's? how about the use of backports. i hosed the printing function on 2006 by using one of thac's updated packages. i really dont want that again.And thanx Mhn. by not checking updates box in Media Manager for my sources i now get listings for all available packages. I hope that isnt considered the normal behavior for this new rpmdrake....

Edited by eroica

Well this a new mirror structure. Before that it was just main, contrib and updates. Now both main and contrib has release, testing, backports and updates subdirectory. Release is the tested and frozen directory, it doesn't change. Testing and updates is what the name suggests. Packages for testing and updates. Backports are newer packages compiled from cooker sources. Only the main/release and main/updates get the official blessing of the Mandriva QA team. Everything else is unsupported. Though they get automated checking and are built with the mandriva build system. It's up to the packagers what goes into the contrib and backports directory.

Thac is a totally different issue. He builds his packages on his own, well there's Ze too. He uses what he wants and he admits that his packages are often fresher and therefore more unstable than the cooker packages. Uses them at your own risk.

First of all: I doubt that anyone at Mandriva will read this. Better post it at their forum, where adamw takes care of many user-complaints and forwards them to the devs.

Secondly, you are somehow right that things like the broken rpmdrake are inacceptable and cause a step back in the effort to make Linux usable for everyone. Mandrivas QA leaves something to be desired, that is for sure. But then, there are also other options and that is the nice thing about Linux. If Mandriva is too quirky for you, get something that doesn't release that frequently (except 2007, all Mandriva releases saw the light after only six months of compiling and testing. A huge difference to Windows, which is in the testing pahse for how long? 4 years? :unsure:)

More stable options (but then a bit less "up-to-date") are Debian Etch (or Sarge for the old-school-freaks), CentOS/Whitebox/RHEL, Slackware and a few others. But then, most of them are not that userfriendly, but that will hopefully change in the future for the one or other distro (the easiest of those distros is imho CentOS).

IM not sure frankly which distro I am comfy with ...I think ubuntu is interesting but I hate its gnome menu layout finding it unnecessarily confusing as lacking a central CC frankly..I do admire mandriva/urpmX and always have and well...QA aside I guess somehow this slipped past them...we should send them a clear signal I guess that a b roader base QA of users neesd to be done to make sure nothing gets missed..im one of those ANAL ones that trys everything to avoid missing somerthing..decisions d ecisions ;)..I guess updating should fix some things and if not for now uprmi I guesss could be used ;00...ubuntu is tempting too so I dont know..why can't there just be ONE best-all-in-one linux distro where everyone can work together to make a great OS that competes with the others for market share and decent user experiences for those that either can't afford M$ or dont want to trust its security model ( or both) ;)../me wishes for those days ;)

does the update at least fix the panel applet notifier ??

I wish there was a one liveCD with 64 bit though ;)))

cheers!

neighborlee()

Edited by neighborlee

i'm wondering w/what I found w/listing packages and what u explained are people supposed to leave update unchecked in Media Manager and add all the update repo's instead. But that seems a little complicated to get updates...

am I to understand that NO one in two days has any clue on h ow to resolve t his for this poor user...?? ( I need this info as well as rpmdrake is busted here too, as well as the panel applet notifier )

this does little to make mandriva a default shinning os nor anything to cement linux as a quality OS..

and I do really like linux and mandriva so dont take this as a FUD posting as much as someone who cares and wants to see both mandriva and linux succede!

cheers

neighborlee()

Edited by neighborlee

i'm wondering w/what I found w/listing packages and what u explained are people supposed to leave update unchecked in Media Manager and add all the update repo's instead. But that seems a little complicated to get updates...

I can see and install updates fine by some reason anyway...

Edited by Mhn