Question on package installer in Mandriva 2007

eroica

hello,

i've just finished installing mandriva 2007 and went to look for kaffeine to install in MCC but got nothing back on search. I've added all the repo's as usual and did all updates no problem.I can do a urpmq from cli and get back kaffeine as a result. Anybody figured out how to get a listing of all installable packages like u could w/2006 in Control Center?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the MCCs rpm tool a bit problematic as I also had problems with packages not being displayed/listed. The appropriate bug was reported in cooker a long time ago and devs are still trying to fix the app completely. Actually, rpmdrake was horribly broken just a few days before 2007 was released, thus we can be happy that it works at least a bit.

I use urpmi. Works way better than the graphical frontend.

Your problem is basically the same as I have been covering in another thread.

I have yet to try the idea that was suggested in that thread. An I will as soon as I find some way to download the packages suggested using MCC. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Cheers. John.

thanx i found your thread. the way rpmdrk is now working is simply not acceptable. The big selling point w/mandriva over RH or SuSe was that it is more user friendly. Now you're telling people to use a CLI package manager on probably the most important feature in a distro non-technical people are looking for ie ease of program installation. Boy somebody really dropped the ball w/this. I'm having a difficult time and i've been using mdv since 9.1.

thanx i found your thread. the way rpmdrk is now working is simply not acceptable.
I agree.
The big selling point w/mandriva over RH or SuSe was that it is more user friendly.
I agree again
Now you're telling people to use a CLI package manager on probably the most important feature in a distro non-technical people are looking for ie ease of program installation.
What else shall we do? We didn't create that mess. It's Mandrivas fault. :rolleyes:

i hope some of the people @ mandriva see this post. i will also post on mandriva forums. I mean everbody is always complaining in the linux community about how linux isnt more widely adopted. I'll tell u why. Cause they let stuff like this out the door and it "simply dont work". say what u will about Vista development time but the softies wouldnt have shipped w/this kind of problem. and if they did people would crucify them. but w/linux its ok. we'll never get above 1% penetration doing releases like this. Dont be a slave to the mentality that u have to keep the release dates every 6-9 months. Let fedora do that. we like Mandriva cause its stable and user friendly...

i hope some of the people @ mandriva see this post. i will also post on mandriva forums. I mean everbody is always complaining in the linux community about how linux isnt more widely adopted. I'll tell u why. Cause they let stuff like this out the door and it "simply dont work". say what u will about Vista development time but the softies wouldnt have shipped w/this kind of problem. and if they did people would crucify them. but w/linux its ok. we'll never get above 1% penetration doing releases like this. Dont be a slave to the mentality that u have to keep the release dates every 6-9 months. Let fedora do that. we like Mandriva cause its stable and user friendly...

I agree 100%..I trusted that the 'year long wait' as I recall ? would bring a stable complete release so I decided to 'overlook' the gaul mess and other things....this has me totally rethinking things as I dont like beta testing releases..if I wanted that i'd be using Vista ;)

having said that I do like mandriva, but what were they thinking releasing it like this and us poor users having to find out this way ..its just not right and its going to hurt them down the road if you ask me. I think if we ever wonder why linux isn't more widely adopted then this is EXactly why yes I agree 100%. GUys and gals in development please lets STOP the insanity okay?....do better testing,,the linux community would rather 'wait' than have a messy release like this dont you think ? ( I sure would <G> )

cheers

neighborlee

Edited by neighborlee

First of all: I doubt that anyone at Mandriva will read this. Better post it at their forum, where adamw takes care of many user-complaints and forwards them to the devs.

Secondly, you are somehow right that things like the broken rpmdrake are inacceptable and cause a step back in the effort to make Linux usable for everyone. Mandrivas QA leaves something to be desired, that is for sure. But then, there are also other options and that is the nice thing about Linux. If Mandriva is too quirky for you, get something that doesn't release that frequently (except 2007, all Mandriva releases saw the light after only six months of compiling and testing. A huge difference to Windows, which is in the testing pahse for how long? 4 years? :unsure:)

More stable options (but then a bit less "up-to-date") are Debian Etch (or Sarge for the old-school-freaks), CentOS/Whitebox/RHEL, Slackware and a few others. But then, most of them are not that userfriendly, but that will hopefully change in the future for the one or other distro (the easiest of those distros is imho CentOS).

got to tell u i've been trying opensuse 10.1. Their package manager had a similar problem w/Yast. I think its more of the arms race mind set of constant upgrades. If you have a release thats a year old its obsolete seems to be the CW w/linux distro's now. And we are paying the price w/these not ready for prime time releases. So when u say there are choices yes there are literally hundreds. but when Suse & Mandriva,two of the most popular and main stream distro's, have problems like these and are released anyway to community then we have serious problem that needs to be addressed...

not to belabor the point but if people @ mandriva knew rpmdrake was broke why wasnt the old version used and then offer the new rpmdrake as an update once bugs were worked out? And why is there no mention of this trouble in the errata or release notes.
You'd have to ask them, we can only guess, and our guesses are likely wrong.

not to belabor the point but if people @ mandriva knew rpmdrake was broke why wasnt the old version used and then offer the new rpmdrake as an update once bugs were worked out? And why is there no mention of this trouble in the errata or release notes.

Maybe not enough people reported it? Only common bugs are mentioned in the Errata. When I used rpmdrake it was working OK most of the time. I installed smart with it.

RPMdrake in Cooker is already much better then the one on 2007 (which is anyway not even close to the failure of YaST on SuSE 10.1 prior to the "remastered" version).

It's just a matter of time till the update version of 2007 or to find a new version on the newly opened /backports